Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 24, 2018, 09:58:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Anemometer problems...  (Read 31355 times)
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 11:49:15 AM »

I'm still very pleased with my Vortex anemometer...
The balance of my "birthday money" has gone on a Vortex. I looked at direct purchase from Inspeed, but at present buying from Audon Electronics gave me the best deal (maybe they have kit they bought when the exchange rate was better?). I've ordered the version with the bicycle computer! That will allow me to get it in service quickly (albeit with 'manual' readings). It will be interesting to see how the figures compare to OS readings.

In due course a wire will be run between the PC and pole so that I can have live update of the Inspeed data. I figure that even then, having the bicycle computer might be handy in some circumstances - e.g. if I decide it's prudent to disconnect the PC in an electrical storm I could maybe swap the cable over to the (more expendable!) bicycle computer and at least get some data.

although I have modified both the lower bearing and put a rain shield to cover the upper part of the shaft housing to prevent water ingress
According to the Inspeed site they changed to a "saphire bearing" earlier this year though I'm not sure if that will apply to my Audon supplied unit.
I am interested in your mods. Have you already described them anywhere, e.g. over on Weather-Watch?

Regards
David
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 06:14:30 PM »

The vortex has arrived. By blowing gently I can get it spinning with as little as a 0.5mph 'breeze'.  Smiley
I like that it has a nice small "projected area" and can be mounted very nearly in the axis of the pole - which should help keep the strain on the pole to a minimum when it gets really windy.

I hope to get it mounted on my 5m pole, with the "bicycle computer" in a plastic food box at a handy level, at the weekend. I'm not sure if my WMR928 anemometer will be back by then, but here's hoping...

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 06:30:01 PM »

My WS2300 anemometer has been going OFL over the last week. I think it has something to do with the wind not being below 20 knots for the last 3 weeks up here and over 65 knots at times.
So, now is the time to look for a Davis me thinks.
If anyone knows of anywhere selling a wireless VP2 with WeatherLink for less than 600 inc VAT & delivery then let me know.  Wink

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 09:19:43 PM »

If anyone knows of anywhere selling a wireless VP2 with WeatherLink for less than 600 inc VAT & delivery then let me know.  Wink
Sounds remarkably close to Prodata's New Year Special, at 599...
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/

The UK Weather Shop's "VP2 Wireless Special Bundle" seems similar too.
http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/vantage_pro_2.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:26:52 PM by skyewright » Logged

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 11:00:12 PM »

Ya, I looked at those and the UK Weather Shop came out on top as Prodata's shipping is mainland only.  Roll Eyes

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 09:54:36 AM »

Ya, I looked at those and the UK Weather Shop came out on top as Prodata's shipping is mainland only.  Roll Eyes
I have found UK Weather Shop to provide excellent service. I bought my WMR928, and since then several extra sensors, from there. Shipping was Royal Mail, First Class - the best choice for Skye (often a genuine 'Next Day'), and presumably best for Lewis too?

I've also had reason to talk to their technical support on 2 matters. I have been please with that too, both in terms of knowledgability and attitude (I'm currently awaiting response on the anemometer unit I returned earlier this week).

PS. How is your 1-wire solar doing - especially now that the sun is getting low?

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 11:15:30 AM »

The 1-Wire solar is still fine, I could do with a nice clear day to get the reading reset for this time of year but apart from that I can't complain.

Royal Mail is the cheapest, and fastest, for us as well. It normally takes a couple of days to get here but then the likes of TNT can take over week!!  Roll Eyes

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 02:03:04 PM »

The 1-Wire solar is still fine, I could do with a nice clear day to get the reading reset for this time of year but apart from that I can't complain.
Glad to hear it, I'm just in the process of making up an order.

Royal Mail is the cheapest, and fastest, for us as well. It normally takes a couple of days to get here but then the likes of TNT can take over week!!  Roll Eyes
For none Royal Mail deliveries here there is usually a sustantial difference in time depending on which of the Inverness based 'Local' carriers is used by the 'Mainland' carrier for the final leg. One local carrier often manages 3-4 days days (e.g. order Monday, receive Thursday), the other is more usually around a week (e.g. order Monday, receive late Saturday afteroon or early the next week - but Friday of same week is not unknown).
And then of course there is the lottery of what you get charged for delivery, ranging from "no extra" to "do we need an export order".  Grin
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:22:32 PM by skyewright » Logged

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 05:25:36 PM »

The balance of my "birthday money" has gone on a Vortex. I looked at direct purchase from Inspeed, but at present buying from Audon Electronics gave me the best deal (maybe they have kit they bought when the exchange rate was better?). I've ordered the version with the bicycle computer! That will allow me to get it in service quickly (albeit with 'manual' readings). It will be interesting to see how the figures compare to OS readings.
although I have modified both the lower bearing and put a rain shield to cover the upper part of the shaft housing to prevent water ingress
According to the Inspeed site they changed to a "saphire bearing" earlier this year though I'm not sure if that will apply to my Audon supplied unit.
I am interested in your mods. Have you already described them anywhere, e.g. over on Weather-Watch?
That was a quick purchase... Cool

Although i have mentioned them on other forums I have not uploaded any piccies...These may help though (see below)

Mine certainly does not have the saphire bearing, but simply a pointed shaft resting on a metal plate at the base of the housing (the plate with the 2 screws)....it is above this plate (where if there is insufficent lubricant) that wear can take place on the shaft itself...the shaft on mine was slightly worn and I used the end off a AA battery as a shim between the plate and shaft...the AA battery end had an indent/raised centre and was an exact fit into the housing...needless to say I used plenty of lubricant in the shaft housing and some sealant grease around the plate.

It is also possible for water to get into the shaft housing from above, just below the whirly bit, as there has to be a gap.  I added to the main bearing housing a shelter skirt (made out of the upper neck and bottle of a Holland and Barrat plastic pill container) that not only hangs lower than the main body but has a kneck that extends upwards with an extra lip close into the whirly bit.....hopefully this should prevent any possibilty of water ingress into the main shaft housing from above.

Hope this helps..

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:49:28 PM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 09:56:30 PM »

That was a quick purchase... Cool
That and some 1-wire bits have been under consideration for a while, so given the trigger of last weekend's problems it didn't take much extra thought to arrive at the decision - then I saw a good price on the Inspeed at Audon, so I jumped - and next day it was here!

Although i have mentioned them on other forums I have not uploaded any piccies...These may help though (see below)
Thank you. I believe that makes sense. To fully appreciate the "skirt" I think I need to look at your pics and at my unit at the same time (I'm in the wrong place to do that at the moment).

I'm not sure if they used to be available, but if you get further wear Inspeed now offer a  "Bushings/Shaft/Plate Repair Kit" for $6 (plus carriage) which "Includes all wear parts: new bushings, main shaft/clip, wear plate, and instructions on how to do it."
For some reason this kit only seems on be listed on the "STORM CHASER" page,
http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/Stormchaser_Mag_Wind_Sensor.asp
but I think the anemometer is the same unit.
That page and the main Anemometers page also lists a "SPARE OR REPLACEMENT ROTOR" which "Includes rotor, magnet, shaft, and circlips" at $12.

Hopefully mine will be a while before it is in need of those, but it is nice to know that such things are "user serviceable".

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 10:11:11 PM »

I became aware that Inspeed had spares available after "Cormack" (Cork Weather) had a problem with his initial purchase.  However, thankyou for the link to the correct page at the Inspeed site...It may come in useful one day...I might even pre-order for the just-in- case scenario....mmm

Are you aware that a small capacitor (not sure of the value) is used inside the serial connector plug for input to the PC?

Regards,

Baggins
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 10:51:40 PM »

Are you aware that a small capacitor (not sure of the value) is used inside the serial connector plug for input to the PC?
No I wasn't.
In my variant the wires are just bare terminated.
I wonder what the 'cap' is there for? Perhaps there is something at Inspeed...

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 09:35:51 AM »

I have just unplugged mine...and it is extremely difficult to see any value as such on it...there are markings though...K5U  105M on one side and the other side reads EC1 06 11...mmmm...I'll upload a piccie in a while...need to sort out another problem 1st!!! 

Regards,

Baggins
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 09:53:54 AM »

I believe that makes sense. To fully appreciate the "skirt" I think I need to look at your pics and at my unit at the same time
I believe I see now. I think you added something that is a snug fit to the fixed body (the bit that screws to the mount), and that projects up slightly thus creating a baffle around the (inevitable) gap between the fixed body and the whirly bit. Does that sound right?

<aside>
BTW. That was a brilliant lateral thinking "engineering" solution to use a AA battery cap as a shim!
</aside>

I wonder what the 'cap' is there for? Perhaps there is something at Inspeed...
There is...
The following from
http://www.inspeed.com/wind_data_logging/Default.asp
where a cable & serial plug can be purchased as a separate part (my emphasis)...
COM Port CABLE FOR WINDWARE OR WEATHERDISPLAY
This cable connects directly to the wind sensor for input to Windware or WeatherDisplay. Includes a capacitor for filtering stray signals on longer cables, as well as an alarm cable output - for Windware to control external devices when the software alarm level is tripped.
(In due course) I hope to interface the Vortex to a 1-wire counter, in which case the 'signal' from the reed switch probably won't need to 'travel' more than around 8-10m even if I end up with a full 10m mast (we can but dream...  Wink).
If I ran the basic 2 core wire from the anemometer direct to the PC's serial port the run (including ups and downs) would be more like 35-40m in which case the capacitor might be more relevant.
I hope that if I do find I see spikes, Inspeed (or maybe Eric @ Hobby Boards) would probably advise about suitable filtering - but even more hope that it 'just works'.  Smiley

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 10:05:29 AM »

Got the piccies now...see below...The wire arrowed comes from the vortex anemometer...The other is just a short fly-lead that does nothing!..

Mine came with the standard 50 metres of cable and the serial connector (with capacitor fitted).

Your comments on the engineering skirt/baffle solution are correct...I was amazed at the fit of the shim myself, particularly as the upside down indent worked perfectly...

Regards,

Baggins
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: