Scottish Weather Network Forum
April 25, 2018, 03:31:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has RSS for updates and News.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Anemometer problems...  (Read 2015 times)
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 11:07:40 AM »

Got the piccies now...see below...
Thank you. Google on "K5U 105M EC1" got me to
http://forums.intpcentral.com/archive/index.php/t-5650.html
where something that seems very similar in labelling and physical description was interpreted as a 1uF capacitor with a +/- 20% tolerance (from the 105M).

Your comments on the engineering skirt/baffle solution are correct...
My only slight concern is that if any quantity of moisture did work its way past the baffle, isn't the result a 'cup'? If I could find 2 such bottles I might try having one fitted as yours is, but a bit lower down, and the other with the 'wide bit up', and with a small drain hole or 2, though as the 'fixed bit' of the anemometer is only an inch or so tall, and you have to screw the bracket on to the side of it too, there is probably not enough room for such an arrangement - and it's probably unnecessary and OTT anyway...  LOL

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 11:31:38 AM »

These 2 rough hand-drawn diags may help explain a little more as far as the pin wiring and baffle are concerned..

Regards,

Baggins
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 11:41:22 AM »

... and you have to screw the bracket on to the side of it too,

Yes, you do need to make a small access point in the plastic bottle skirt, but once attached a piece of tape can cover it over..see yet another piccie..

Regards,

Baggins
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 12:18:42 PM »

These 2 rough hand-drawn diags may help explain a little more as far as the pin wiring and baffle are concerned..
I see now. No 'cup' involved. Smiley

Yes, you do need to make a small access point in the plastic bottle skirt, but once attached a piece of tape can cover it over..see yet another piccie..
Neat.Smiley

Thank you for the piccies & explanations (and patience).

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 12:55:52 PM »

I see now. No 'cup' involved. Smiley
Yes, no cup at all....

The diagram doesn't really do the actual measurements/situation justice, as the neck of the plastic bottle (of the snap-lid variety) is almost perfect in proportions and fit and needed just a little internal chamfering at the junction of the neck to the curved upper part of the bottle....I suspect the moulding of the bottle takes place with a pre-formed neck and then the lowe bottle part is attached to it...hence the slight thickening at the join of the 2 component parts....but it was no problem to work on aand I only needed a sharp Stanley knife.  Picture 3 (where the green arrow was shown) shows the lower flange on the neck.  This is a very abrupt and perfectly shaped shoulder to hopefully prevent upwards movement of any moisture/rain.  Additionally the outwards shape of the main bottle skirt should reduce the overall exposure of the vortex body area towards the underside of the rotating parts....I hope...

The recent storms gave quite interesting results with my Vortex setup.  They quite conclusively proved to me that the detections in time and velocity data values were absolutely in tune with my Davis Kit.

No probs...Glad to help with your project David.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:58:59 PM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2008, 06:33:57 PM »

Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered a VP2 with USB data logger.  Grin
Got it for 575 delivered and looks like I got the last one in stock as it's not on the website any more so that was lucky.
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2008, 07:28:33 PM »

Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered a VP2 with USB data logger.  Grin
wow!  Shocked Shocked

Regards,

Baggins
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2008, 11:14:56 PM »

Well, the old WS2300 is getting a bit long in the tooth and is over 5 years old now. The anemometer (the third one I've had with this unit) is starting to show the old "OFL" in stronger winds so I figured it was time for a change.
I wanted to go for a Serial data logger with the VP2 but they only had the USB version so I'll see what it's like.
I've sourced a solar & UV sensor in the U.S for later so I can do away with having the wires running up onto the roof, unless I use the CAT5 for installing the Boltek up there.  Wink
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 04:04:10 AM »

Well done....I think that you'll find that the best main attributes of the VP2 over the WS23** are the UV and Solar sensor setup.  They really are excellent and make the setup that more complete.  It's a shame that there wasn't a serial logger available, but in your loacation I doubt if there is that much RFI noise around anyway (other than home self generated)....perhaps if you get some snap-on filters/chokes to fit on the usb cable then that would help overcome any latent problems too.

As you are probably aware, I am exceedingly happy with my WS23** and Vortex (as an experimental backup to the Davis), but either way, it is the total relaibility and availability of data that will count in the end versus the Davis.  However, in my case, as it is the Davis that provides the solar/UV values, that is one area I'll have to look at to maintain complete redundancy.   I have been following all the threads on the WD forum with much interest (solar jar etc.) that are using the 1 wire system, but have so far not taken the decision to buy, due to limitations I have with wiring in my favoured location.  Mind you, that was really why I got the Davis wireless in the 1st place.

Enjoy the new kit! Smiley Smiley

Regards,

Baggins
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 08:51:42 AM »

Cheers.  Smiley

The WS2300 has been good and has maintained accurate data throughout, when compared to the UKMO equipment at the airport.
The mountings are a bit of a DIY jobby but with the VP2 I want to get things right, if I'm spending all this money on the kit. So I've ordered a new chimney mount with 8' pole for the anemometer and 30m extention cable to join the anemometer to the ISS from UK Weather Shop ( I can't afford a repeater for it yet!!  Wink ).
This way I get the anemometer up in clear air and way from the roof line and I can put the ISS out in the field and away from the rain shadow of the house (something that the WS2300 has suffered from since the start).

There's enough stuff on the WD forum about sorting the RDF problems with the USB data logger if I do get any but I'm hopefull that it'll be OK, we'll see.  Wink

One question, did you bother putting the correction weight on the raingauge buckets or did you leave it with the imperial one on there and just get WD to do the conversion?
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2008, 09:05:09 AM »

Because of the layout of the house and garden I inevitably ended up with the anemometer repeater, but I must say that has been a real bonus.  ie. I haven't had to take a v. long cable from the anem. to the ISS which is even further from the house!

As far as the weights for the rain-guage go....Im pretty sure that I fitted the correction weight....that was of course prior to the other methodology being discussed on the forum....However, as the readings that i have got have been pretty near identical to my manual funnel....I have not seen it as a problem.

I can thoroughly recommend the "Virtual VP" software by "SoftWx" (available thru the forum) as a means of utilising the Davis data to the full with other Wx progs (WeatherLink etc) being able to run at the same time as say WD.  It really is great software (I also use StartWatch too).

Regards,

Baggins
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2008, 10:14:26 AM »

Vitual VP & Start Watch look interesting and I'll try them out when everything is setup & running.
Cheers for those.  Grin
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2008, 10:36:23 AM »

Yup, I would say that Virtual VP is actually the heart of my weather PC  Grin...it gives some real added benefits in being able to save so much data in different formats etc etc when you are running the different Wx progs...I actually run VWS too, but I had initially bought that prior to finding and running WD.  VWS does give an easy form of webpage setup although it appears to have nowhere near the in-built features that WD has and many cost extra (image Salsa etc).

Sorry Dave...this is definitely wandering way OT!!!  Embarrassed

Regards,

Baggins
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2008, 11:18:50 AM »

Sorry Dave...this is definitely wandering way OT!!!  Embarrassed
I've no quibbles with that at all. All interesting stuff, and not terribly OT on a global scale.  Cheesy

Martin: I imagine you've seen the Weather-Watch thread where someone suggests foil wrapping the cables as they split coming out of the USB connector (or some such)...
http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,33328.msg277017.html#msg277017

Back On-Topic a "replacement under warranty" WMR928 arm/cups/vane arrived with the post late yesterday afternoon (Nowadays the post is usually between 1600 and 1700 on a Saturday, 1400 to 1600 the rest of the week. The local collection is at 0800...) so I might get the mast back up later today.

Since that unit is back (or rather replaced) and my 1-wire order is already being processed by Eric I've decided to hang on to the Vortex at ground level for the moment to allow more leisured dry-run setup and testing of the proposed 1-wire system (and especially after the recent experience of Lucid[1] over on Weather-Watch I'll be wanting to arrange for some surge suppressors in the system too).

[1] http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,35351.msg288502.html#msg288502

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2008, 11:41:02 AM »

The lighning consequences, on an optimally located anemometer, have always been a consideration/worry of mine too....Using the Davis separate wireless anemometer Tx was certainly a bonus for my initial setup, but then I transgressed completely by putting my Vortex on an extension above the Davis anemometer and linking said cable direct into my Alternate PC....probably NOT a good idea, but I'm hoping that all the local paraphenalia (higher masts/trees) in the vicinity will give alternate local protection with any strikes!!!...

Regards,

Baggins
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: