Scottish Weather Network Forum
October 15, 2018, 06:51:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has RSS for updates and News.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anemometer problems...  (Read 4974 times)
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »

Martin: I imagine you've seen the Weather-Watch thread where someone suggests foil wrapping the cables as they split coming out of the USB connector (or some such)...
http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,33328.msg277017.html#msg277017
Yep, spotted that one the other day and it was going to be my first post of call if any lock-outs occurred.  Wink

With my mast, I've still got the earthing cable running up the wall to the chimney from the old 1-Wire lightning detector so I'll be connecting that to the base of the new 8' mast, when it arrives.
The Boltek is in the loft, so that's protected, so the only thing connected direct to the PC is solar sensor and that's below the level of the mast and insulated from it.
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2008, 05:45:23 PM »

but I'm hoping that all the local paraphenalia (higher masts/trees) in the vicinity will give alternate local protection with any strikes!!!...
Part of my hopes too. We are in a relatively low lying spot, with plenty of higher, hopefully more attractive,  places nearby by. Worst we've had was a strike close enough to take out my ISDN wall box and an attached TA - but that was quite a night, IIRC it resulted in something like 300 lightning related phone faults in the Skye & Lochalsh area, including taking out the phone system at the local hospital. Since then BT have beefed up the surge protection at the exchanges.

Getting back to my anemometer, the new unit is now up and it seems to have a lower start up speed - I've now see 1.0 mph on the WMR928 console, previously I'd never seen less than 2.0 (I wonder how it will perform at the other end of the scale and with gusts...).

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2008, 03:19:19 PM »

A wee update on the Davis VP2 (as David was asking  Wink ).
It's arrived and unpacked. I've just got back in from putting a 6' length of 4x4 in the field on the South side of the house for the ISS, I managed to dodge the showers long enough to get eh job done.  Grin I just hope it's deep enough as I could only go down about a foot before I hit rock, still theres concrete around the base so it should be OK.

Tomorrow doesn't look too bad so I may be able to get up on the roof and remove the old TV aerial chimney mount & mast to put the new one up. This is from the UK Weather Shop and has an 8' mast on it!!  Grin
I need to check the condition of the 1-Wire solar sensor while I'm up there as it's not reporting anywhere near what it should be, maybe Birdie doo-doo on it or something.

Then it's just a case of running the anemometer cable down the wall and trenching it across the field to the ISS and jobs a gooden.
I've already tested the signal strength from the ISS position to the console and I'm getting 100%.

Once it's been running for a few hours, to make sure everything is working correctly, then I'll install Weatherlink and try out the connection to WD. 
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2008, 03:52:34 PM »

I just hope it's deep enough as I could only go down about a foot before I hit rock, still theres concrete around the base so it should be OK.
Enough depth for 3 or 4 pegs round about and guys to the post?
I'm a big fan of the 'belt & braces' school of engineering.  Grin

I need to check the condition of the 1-Wire solar sensor while I'm up there as it's not reporting anywhere near what it should be, maybe Birdie doo-doo on it or something.
I hope it's just that. Another possibility - one I'd been wondering about - is that the acceptance angle of the sensor is only 140 degree, which leaves 20 degrees at either limit and at this time of year, at our latitude, even at solar noon the sun doesn't manage 20 degrees above the horizon...

Some people use a table tennis ball diffuser. Perhaps that helps with the extreme angles a bit too?

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2008, 08:24:37 PM »

Enough depth for 3 or 4 pegs round about and guys to the post?
I'm a big fan of the 'belt & braces' school of engineering.  Grin

I'd thought about that, only using four wooden supports. I'll see how stable it is in the morning.  Wink
I hope it's just that. Another possibility - one I'd been wondering about - is that the acceptance angle of the sensor is only 140 degree, which leaves 20 degrees at either limit and at this time of year, at our latitude, even at solar noon the sun doesn't manage 20 degrees above the horizon...

Some people use a table tennis ball diffuser. Perhaps that helps with the extreme angles a bit too?
I've got it in a Tupperware box and that should be acting a defuser so I'm not sure what the problem is, maybe water has got in there and there's condensation on the inside or something.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 05:39:39 PM »

Well the VP2 is up & running and supplying data to my website.  Grin
All seems to have gone well, no real problems to speak of and the swap from the WS2300 to VP2 through WD was quite easy.

The wind speed update time is soooooooo much better than the WS2300 and the forecast that the VP2 creates is now on WDL.
I'm impressed with the wireless signal, the ISS is mounted on a 4"x4" post about 120 feet from the southern gable end and the gable end itself is made of pured concrete, plus there's an internal wall for the signals to go through and I'm still getting 100% signal strength!!

The old WS2300 is still up there and running and I re-mounted the anemometer on the new mast, just to compare the two stations.  Wink

I had a look at the solar sensor while I was on the roof and I can't see anything wrong. There was a bit on condensation on the inside of the box but nothing too bad and the base was dry. I think you could be right David, it's just the angle and strenght of the Sun at this time of year that's causing the bad readings. Oh well, I'll just have to save up for the Davis version.  Wink
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2008, 09:57:11 AM »

The VP wireless setup is really good and seems to cope well...mine seems to run at 100% packet Rx for most of the time (likewise through thick stone walls).  I must admit that I was virtually forced into the situation of having to use a separate anemometer Tx and that has proved to a real bonus (expensive, but...) allowing me to have the ISS in a prime location.

Interestingly, I am still finding that the Inspeed Vortex capabilities are THE improvement for windspeed that we all desire for our lower price setups (WS23** etc.).  However the Vortex, over the Davis, shows little difference on actual data output using WD.  The capture of max windspeeds being to all intents identical within reasonable bounds.

Enjoy your new TOY Martin.

Regards,

Baggins
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2008, 10:41:13 AM »

I switched the VP2's own graph onto the wind last night, at the time it was blowing 30 knots up here, and normally it just gives you the 10 minute average in the scroller at the bottom of the screen but last night it alternated between that and "HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT"!!  Cheesy

I wonder what it'll say when the wind really starts to blow?  Grin

I think I'll stick with the cup-type anemometer for the WS2300, I've already got through two of the fan type and one AAG + it's only going to be used as a spare so no point in spending more money on it.  Wink
Good tip for others with the WS2300 though, as specially as they are now doing the direction as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: