Scottish Weather Network Forum
October 16, 2018, 05:22:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Placing Outdoor Sensors Guide.  (Read 605 times)
weathermaster
Cirrus

« on: November 11, 2008, 05:09:53 PM »

Thought I would make a quick quide for where your outdoor sensors for your weather station should be.

Temperature:
Should be placed at least 4ft above ground level. Ground level or soil temperatures should be measured with separate sensors if possible. It should also be avoided by sunlight and rainfall. Make sure it is in a position where free circulation of air can occur. Stuff like brick walls or concrete can make data not accurate.

Humidity:
Same situation with the temperature sensors but make sure its at beside the temperature sensor.

Wind speed and direction:
Try and make sure it is above 10m above ground level best to put it on a shed roof or on your house roof. The direction the obvious advice is to aim for maximum exposure of the anemometer. If you put it on a roof make sure its off the structure by 3m to 4m to get accurate data. If you have it on the roof structure it can cause errors and unaccurate readings.

Rainfall:
Make sure it is put in a very open area try to get as far away as any objects like a house and place it in a flat location, the reason for this is the wind can cause air turbulence and it makes the rain not reach it.

Pressure:
You will probably have this inside and it doesn't really matter where you put it but make sure the room its in doesn't get to hot.

Hope this helps Smiley .
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:38:07 PM »

Thanks for that Sean.

Although Davis recommend the temp/hum should be 5ft above well cut grass and the anemometer should be 8ft above the roof line to avoid any turbulance caused by the roof.

A handy online source for detailed info is the Citizen Weather observer Program (CWOP), Weather Station Siting, Performance and Data Quality Guide.
The UK Met Office also have a guide.  Wink
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:37:38 PM »

Although Davis recommend the temp/hum should be 5ft above well cut grass
I think that the 5ft is the US standard?
Location of equipment seems to be something where even the professionals have different standards in different countries still.

Regards
David
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:40:04 PM »

Thanks for the links I'm sure if anyone can get the height near the way it should be thats ok.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 11:10:26 PM »

Yep, it's handy to know the standards but it normally comes down to a compromise of where you're able to mount the sensor at your location.
In my case the ISS will be at 5', or there abouts, to keep it out of the way of the sheep!!  Grin
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:33:24 AM »

In my case the ISS will be at 5', or there abouts, to keep it out of the way of the sheep!!  Grin
A very good point - a "local factor" not much mentioned in standards!

Be glad you don't have red deer. Great to look at, but like sheep on stilts, and with longer horns.  LOL
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:37:04 AM by skyewright » Logged

Regards
David
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 04:10:13 PM »

I'm glad I don't have any animals to mess about with my weather stuff I live in the town so the sheep aren't there (up the hill away from me same with the horses and cows and chickens and all other animals) However some cats pass by in my garden but they don't do anything as there smart.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: