Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 22, 2018, 04:34:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Talking of windy things ...  (Read 16152 times)
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« on: November 13, 2008, 02:14:33 PM »

i can't even say theproper word for it, let alone spell it so it's a windy thing ok? lol

was reading in another thread martin (i think?) reckons he has a 'dodgy DIY' set up for his, i reckon you can't get dodgier than mine so here it is ....
an explanation of what you are seeing;
'acquired' a disused lamp post from the harbour where i work and got it home(interesting driving a pick up with one of these things in them hanging over front and rear lol) then cut off the thick bit at the bottom, dug a hole through the rock bed about 3 ft deep, upturned the thick bit i had cut off and set it in the hole with concrete. when that was set i slid in the rest of the lamp post to the centre of the thick bit and concreted that in place too. a later and recent addition is the wooden mast from a friends boat who didn't want it. two holes drilled through the lamp post and the the mast base, steel bar threaded through the bottom hole to give me a fulcrum point, rope attached to the top of the mast, flung over the arm of the lamp post and mast hauled upright, second piece of threaded bar through second hole and bolted up. mast just entwined in rope from top to bottom then got a loan of the harbour teleporter and man cage and up i went to install the windy thing and duct tape the wire in place down the post in various places, also binding mast and lamp post together.

Show me yours! (sorry for the crass quality of the pic, it's a naff day)

munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 03:30:56 PM »

I like the initiative that you have used to get the windy-thing up on the ex lamp-post and mast...with that sort of location you should be getting some unimpeded Atlantic gales plusssssss.

Mine's on the chimbley, with a 10ft steel pole plus 6ft extension.  It took a bit of getting up there initially as there was some drilling required.  I can swivel it down around the lower clamp. or even remove it completely reasonably easily for the annual(ish) servicing.   The Vortex (windspeed only) is at the very top, with the Davis being slightly lower.  Unfortunately there are some 80ft + trees around the garden and I do get some screeening when the wind is in the wrong direction, but at least the prevailing SW is reasonable for a semi-urban environment.

See attached piccie

Regards,

Baggins
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:38:15 PM »

hehe thanks, that looks a lot better than my concoction! i'll try and get a pic in daylight of the house and mast together, i still get a partially low reading swinging from n/w through to n/e because of a slight hill behind me Sad dare not try and get the thing any higher, i have to get one of the harbour lads up here with the teleporter as it is to get to the thing if something goes wrong lol
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 06:34:27 PM »

Mines a home made job, mainly constructed with timber left over after a fencing job...

At the base there's a 5' x 100mm square fence post. Screwed to that is a 3.5m x 100mm x 40mm rail. Screwed to that is a 4.8m x 50mm x 38mm rail. The overall effect is a 'T' section for much of the height. At the top a 25mm dowel is strapped to the top of the 4.8m with a couple of Jubilee clips, to give a little extra height - and it's a handy size for the standard OS WMR928 'U' bolts. The whole lot is finished off with a coat of left over masonry paint.
There are 4 way guys at ~3.5m and again at ~4.8m. The windy bit is at 5m.

At the base, there is a bolt through the fence post attaching it to a 'stand off' bracket that is in turn attached to an expansion bolt that I cast into a concrete footing. That means that the mast can both pivot and rotate - the rotation is handy when lowering as it allows me to drop the 'top' end where I want it.

I can raise and lower the mast single handed (in decent weather). I attach 3 of the guys loosely (one to either side, and the one that the mast is almost resting on at that time), then add a temp extension to the 4th guy, and run the extension through a pulley clipped to the anchor point for the 4th guy. That allows me to start lifting the pole just by picking the end up. I then "walk it up" till I'm stood by the base. I can then temporarily tighten the 4th guy using the extension via the pulley, then tie the extension off to the base of the mast. Then it's a matter of properly attaching the 4th guy to its anchor, clipping on the second set of 4 guys, then adjusting all round till the mast is vertical and the tensions even (which always takes longer that you feel it should...).

Some day I may try going a bit higher by extending with 50mm alloy tube, maybe...

Regards
David
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 08:04:24 PM »

do you know i have absolutely no idea how high up my windy thing is hahahaha

keep the pics coming guys, it's great to see other set ups! thank you Cheesy
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 08:39:56 PM »

Mine,

2 of them below at different heights and locations.

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 09:15:49 PM »

keep the pics coming guys, it's great to see other set ups! thank you Cheesy
Well if you don't mind more of the same - I just noticed that I didn't attach the image I intended, so here's the view SW that I meant to use (with Rum just about visible in the distance), plus one looking SE that better shows the construction.

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 11:56:50 PM »

Well here's the old setup, the box at the base of the mast was the housing for the 1-Wire lightning detector, it now houses a RJ45 connection for the solar sensor (on the chimney cap.

I'll get some photos of the new setup when the rain stops.  Wink

Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 02:33:40 PM »

Here's the new setup:

The ISS on it's post in the field.

The anemometer (windy thing) mast, Davis at the top and the WS2300 half way down on the right.

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 03:22:19 PM »

Does anyone use a stephenson box for there weather station? I used to have my temperature sensor outside it also does the humidity and sends data to the weather station base. It broke because it was getting rain and snow on it. Luckily I managed to fix it and it still works now, but I know it should be in a sheltered location but there isn't really one at my house it depends on what way the wind blows. So could I make a little wooden box for it with holes? If I did it means I could my rain gauge right down to the bottom of the garden.
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 04:02:48 PM »

I made my own screen for the WS23** Temp and Hygro unit...I used the standard plantpot tray design using Woolworths Microwave dish covers instead of trays (unavailable at the time in the right size)...I have made it such that I could put a fan in it if I wished, but so far the results have been so good (in comparison to the Davis) that I haven't bothered as yet.

The design for this Plant Tray type of Stevenson screen can be found here

There are also lots of tips within the WD Forum weather equipment pages using this same methodology in construction.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 04:15:21 PM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 05:15:27 PM »

I made a similar thing for mine, but I managed to find some plant pot drip trays.  Wink

The back is cut out because it was easier to mount to the wall.

While I'm at it, here's the finished screen and the webcam shelter, although the webcam shelter is now painted white as the sun made made the glass mist up as it was.  Wink

Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 05:22:12 PM »

Gawd aren't you lot posh!  Grin

my temp/hygro thingy is mounted on a fence post and one of those car screen thingies loosely round it to reflect sunlight, open top and bottom ..... am i the 'queen of bodge jobs' or what!  Grin
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 09:17:21 PM »

While I'm at it, here's the finished screen and the webcam shelter, although the webcam shelter is now painted white as the sun made made the glass mist up as it was.  Wink

That set up is very similar to mine all it needs is a wee wiper  Grin

And thanks for the links above.
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 10:05:09 AM »

...and the webcam shelter, although the webcam shelter is now painted white as the sun made made the glass mist up as it was.  Wink
Is that a felt covered wooden box, with a glass front?

Did you bother with any heating or ventilation (either passive or forced)?

Regards
David
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: