Scottish Weather Network Forum
July 15, 2018, 08:26:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has RSS for updates and News.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of getting a new weather station.  (Read 793 times)
weathermaster
Cirrus

« on: December 14, 2008, 12:32:37 PM »

Hi,

A few years ago I got one for 100 it still works and has never let me down. Last year I got a 180 lacrosse ws 3600 because it had the computer connection and more stuff with it to its very good but everyone who has them has got the same problem of it crashing. When it gets windy here it freezes and then says the wind is 200mph and then it goes online everyone goes wow. So I have reset it a few times and that fixed it and got a new anemometer for it. But recently its crashing constantly now I could get a replacement but how long would it last? just another year?.

So I'm looking for a tougher weather station price range 150 to 300.

Unless you have a idea how to fix the current one.

P.S as i type this its working fine.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:34:25 PM by weathermaster » Logged
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 12:49:29 PM »

Seems to be the same with LaCrosse Sean, my WS2300 does the same thing.
I tried an AAG 1-Wire anemometer and that was excellent, until it got fried by lightning.
If the rest of the station is working fine then maybe look at a Vortex anemometer for the wind speed. These have a much faster update time and seem to be reliable. You can integrate them with WD and use it instead of the WS3600 wind speed, but still use the direction data.

If you want to go for a new station then have a look at the WMR200 that David (Skyewright) has. They are towards the top of your price range but are about the best you'll get without going for a Davis.
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 01:00:11 PM »

The weather station base and sensor outside may be the problem at the moment its a cable that runs outside to the sensor for faster updates all the cables are fine not rusty but the sensor plugs are a little rusty I used that stuff to stop it rusting it has worked and now it doesn't crash as much but the base part inside does.
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »

The Inspeed Vortex that Martin mentions is a robust bit of kit. Munrobaggins has one that he uses with his WS2310.
I have one, but it's not yet in use.

The WMR200 that Martin mentions is a sort of halfway house to Davis. It's wireless, but in practice don't expect anything like the 100m 'ideal conditions' range. My anemometer has been in service nearly a year, has recorded speeds up to ~70mph (it was only on a 2m pole at the time), has 'travelled' just under 60,000 miles of windrun and aside from a bit of rust on an unimportant mounting screw looks almost like new. The anemometer gives 14 second updates. Yesterday I changed the 2 AA batteries in the anemometer for the first time (they were still working, but had started to show as 'low').

In the longer term I think I expect to trend away from wireless and towards a '1-wire' system including the Inspeed Vortex as anemometer (for faster updates), but that's a personal choice and 'wireless' is certainly very convenient!

Regards
David
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 04:33:48 PM »

Have you tried the 'rewiring of the windy thing'? i did this with my first windy thing as i had one or two spikes, i've not bothered with this one and it's going fine, it's a ws 2350, it's done 97,500 miles to date this year and i erected it late last year i think lol really must sort out my filing system so  i can find the receipt  Roll Eyes
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 05:41:25 PM »

It would seem that quite a few of the more recent wx stn designs are having data download problems with WeatherDisplay/other wx software and for that reason I would tend towards getting either an OS 928/968 (if you can get one still), or a WS23** series.  OK, the WS23** series needs a little extra protection and work doing to them to make them more reliable.  But if you can accept that, and perhaps get an Inspeed Vortex from Audon? later as an add-on (giving update rates of 1 sec on windspeed) IMHO you would have a pretty good setup...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 05:43:53 PM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 06:08:16 PM »

Thanks for your help Smiley

But the anemometer is brand new only 4 months old it gives the data out fine just when the base inside crashes it puts the rain and wind up to the max and turns on alarms so if I'm not at home nothing can stop it from going mad. So I think it may have something to do with it or the sensor outside that sends the data to the base?
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 08:20:05 PM »

What is the cheapest Davis you can buy?
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 08:37:05 PM »

The cheapest is the cabled VP2 which comes in a around 500 with the datalogger included.
The wireless VP2 + data logger is 589 and these prices are from Skyview.

You may see them advertised cheaper that this but make sure that they include the Weatherlink datalogger as you will need this to connect the VP2 to your computer.  Wink

If you look on the likes of Ebay then there are much cheaper prices available from the U.S. but you can't use the U.S spec wireless version in the UK as the frequencies it uses are illegal here. You also have to add VAT & import duty to the price they advertise if you want to go for a cabled version.
scanman
Nimbostratus

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 09:13:08 PM »

I used to have a 3600 and had similar problems with silly wind readings. I eventually thought I had tracked it down to what I thought was a software bug, although I cannot recall exctly what it was. It was something like resetting the max wind speed when the current wind speed was zero, or something silly like that.......sorry I can't help more though.

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 03:46:46 PM »

Yesterday it didn't crash once or give out any faulty data  Grin so I'm happy with that.

Today I found that the program weather display has the limit settings so I set it up so it can't give out really high winds if there is a error.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: