Scottish Weather Network Forum
December 19, 2018, 07:26:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SCWN has updated the Mesomap with new features, like the inclusion of Gust Speed, Dew Point, station's home town name.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Are weather-watch servers down?- Up again 15:15 04/1/09  (Read 1960 times)
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« on: January 04, 2009, 11:30:46 AM »

I have been unable to get MML, GFS or the WD forum for the past 2 days.  I assume it is a server problem, but I see that Budgie and Baggins are still producing wxsim forecasts (mine stopped working on 2/1/09). weather-dns.net (which I assume is the clientraw retrieval server) last hit my site at 7.05am on 3/1/09.
Is everyone else finding the same?

Chris
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 03:21:21 PM by carseman » Logged
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 02:25:19 PM »

I have been unable to get MML, GFS or the WD forum for the past 2 days.  I assume it is a server problem, but I see that Budgie and Baggins are still producing wxsim forecasts (mine stopped working on 2/1/09). weather-dns.net (which I assume is the clientraw retrieval server) last hit my site at 7.05am on 3/1/09.
Is everyone else finding the same?
Yes I believe that this is general.

I believe that Budgie & Baggins also download 'READY' data as a fallback for when GFS data is not available. I've just done that for the first time for my 1300 forecast and, using Broadstairs' AutoIt script which I'd previously downloaded but never used, it was remarkably simple!

Collection of READY can't be totally automated as the automated process pauses at one point where you need to type in one of those 'anti-robot' password in an image things, but if you can do that once a day, and tick the "Include this saved file" option in WXSIMATE it does mean you can continue producing forecasts when GFS data is unavailable.

If you google "wxsim gfs ready autoit broadstairs" you should find a result for "Updated READY data collection script". You can't at present follow the link, but google does obligingly have a cached copy. The link for the ready_data script won't work either of course, but if you'd like a copy, please contact me direct - I can't imagine Broadstairs having any objection to that.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:30:11 PM by skyewright » Logged

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 02:47:51 PM »

Yes, same here with the WD Forum site...Nothing at all yesterday/today so far...I have been using the Broadstairs "autoit" process/procedure to get READY data since early yesterday, to produce my WxSim fcsts..

Note: AS David has said you need to "Include this saved File" in WxSimate...As a matter of course, when I do this I also UNTICK the GFS box in WxSimate download as a precaution, until things settle down with the GFS data becoming reliable again..
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:54:10 PM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 03:05:36 PM »

Thanks.
I found my localised copy of gfs.au lurking in my wxsim directory. I have just run a new forecast.

Chris
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 03:11:56 PM »

I seem to remember that Tom and Stu had conspired to put the autoit process .au into the latest versions of WXSim/WxSimate prog downloads folder...Presumably that is how your copy has come to light Chris. Smiley

Regards,

Baggins
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 03:16:45 PM »

I seem to remember that Tom and Stu had conspired to put the autoit process .au into the latest versions of WXSim/WxSimate prog downloads folder...Presumably that is how your copy has come to light Chris. Smiley
No, I had dowloaded and customised it during the last "outage". I just forgot where I had saved it  Wink
Chris
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 03:22:12 PM »

All is well again - apparently it was a database crash and Chris_admin has now sorted it.
The GFS data is still for Jan 2nd, so we will have to wait for the next run at 18:00

Chris
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 03:24:33 PM by carseman » Logged
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »

Good news then Chris...I may have been wrong anyway, although I do seem to remember it being discussed somehow...I have just looked at Tom's WxSim download site and there doesn't seem to be any mention of the autoit READY data download process being included for download.

I would be interested to know whether you think that there is a change in the accuracy of your WxSim forecasts using the READY data....Mine always just seem that little bit better....odd...beyond my skills to understand/comprehend..

Edit:  Having now looked at the WD forum again and found the right thread by Broadstairs it seems that there was indeed discussion of sorts that Tom was going to make the script available(possibly)...see here last para..
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 03:42:46 PM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 03:44:23 PM »

I was nightshift last night (and again tonight) so I've been sleeping until now.
Good to see Chris got the server sorted though.  Grin

When I saw the server was down yesterday I swapped over to autoit READY and also unticked the GFS download, same as Baggins.
If the next GFS run isn't until 1800 then I think I'll stick with the READY data for tonight and change back tomorrow. I have a run at 2000, when I'll be in work, and another at 0400 so if there's any problems with GFS then I won't be able to do anything about it until I get home in the morning.
Last night I downloaded the READY data at 1900 and that was fine until I got home this morning so I'll do the saem tonight, just to be on the safe side.  Wink 
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 03:56:36 PM »

When I saw the server was down yesterday I swapped over to autoit READY and also unticked the GFS download, same as Baggins.
On my initial run I didn't have that unticked...
... but like you I think I'll stick with READY till tomorrow by which time hopefully the GFS data will be bedded in, so I've now unticked to to reduce confusion.

It would be interesting to know if WxSim automatically takes the most recent if both are present (here Tom states "You could keep decent forecasts going, even in automated mode, by downloading READY data at least once a day and having WXSIMATE append it to your other data." and I sort of get the impression he means this as a regular thing, i.e. "just in case" rather than "only when you know GFS is down"?).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 05:13:07 PM by skyewright » Logged

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 04:21:36 PM »

When I saw the server was down yesterday I swapped over to autoit READY and also unticked the GFS download, same as Baggins./quote]

On my initial run I didn't have that unticked...
... but like you I think I'll stick with READY till tomorrow by which time hopefully the GFS data will be bedded in, so I've now unticked to to reduce confusion.

It would be interesting to know if WxSim automatically takes the most recent if both are present (here Tom states "You could keep decent forecasts going, even in automated mode, by downloading READY data at least once a day and having WXSIMATE append it to your other data." and I sort of get the impression he means this as a regular thing, i.e. "just in case" rather than "only when you know GFS is down"?).

that is an interesting quote from Tom...I think I must have missed it previously.....mmmm

Perhaps I'll just use the READY data for a while anyway.  I seem to remember that it was about day 4 post GFS loss that the GFS data seemed to be OK (ish)....perhaps all this explains why I perceive a better accuracy in forecasts using the READY data...more mmmm  Undecided Undecided
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 04:24:43 PM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 05:06:43 PM »

I'm wondering if I can use the READY data and keep the GFS download ticked and how/if WXsim will use both sets of data?
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 05:53:43 PM »

I'm wondering if I can use the READY data and keep the GFS download ticked and how/if WXsim will use both sets of data?
I think we need Tom for a definitive answer on that - unless someone fancies doing some experiments..

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 06:28:38 PM »

I may have a play tomorrow but I'll leave it as is for tonight.  Wink
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 09:07:39 AM »

I may have a play tomorrow but I'll leave it as is for tonight.  Wink
As you may have seen, I asked on Weather-Watch, and was pointed to another message by Tom which clarifies the situation by stating

"When you switch back to GFS, be sure not to inadvertently include READY data.  Either un-check the "also include this saved file" box, or if you're still appending something (like MAPS), make sure there's no READY in that file.  WXSIM doesn't like to see both kinds of model data in the same file.".

Regards
David
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: