Scottish Weather Network Forum
October 20, 2018, 08:01:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has RSS for updates and News.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Toy!  (Read 1013 times)
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« on: January 13, 2009, 11:33:03 PM »

I got a new toy in the post today, a Davis solar sensor & sensor shelf for the VP2.  Grin
I'll have to set it up tomorrow as it was dark by the time the courier arrived with it but it's all assembled and ready to go.

I go it from Weather Buffs in the U.S and they provided excellent service.
I ordered it on the 5th Jan and it arrived today. Total cost, including VAT & import duty was 75 cheaper than you can get the same thing in the UK, without the delivery added!!  Shocked

I'll let you know when it's up & running.
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 08:07:45 PM »

You won't be disappointed with the solar sensor... an excellent piece of kit me thinks.  At our sort of latitudes the UV sensor is no big deal.  For a good 2 months of the year it reads "zero" and even at max high summer it only gives a reading of 7(ish)

Regards,

Baggins
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 09:03:17 PM »

I didn't go with the UV sensor for that reason, well that & the price!!  Shocked
The solar sensor has been running since about 0930 this morning and is a great improvement on the 1-Wire solar sensor I have on the roof. That hasn't really been registering very much since the summer, even with a diffuser of sorts I don't think it's got the field of view for up here in the winter months.
So the 1-Wire is now an extra temp for now, until I decide what I'm going to do with it.  Wink

All I need to do now with the Davis one is get the settings in WD sorted out so I get what I'm looking for on the graph & in the data.
Currently I have it running with Max solar/time of day/time zone/lat & long settings and displaying the solar % on the graph. I was messing around with it so much today that I only noticed in the afternoon that I still had the max solar set for the 1-wire & it was using those setting for the Davis.  Roll Eyes
So I'll run it like it is for tomorrow and see what I get, at least my current conditions are back to what they should be instead of cloudy all the time!!
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:10:21 PM »

Glad to hear that you have it set up OK...it is very, very critical on the bubble level to get things correct.

I've been "toying" with the idea of getting a davis wireless temperature station in the UK and then getting the temp/moisture sensors themselves from the States etc...but it still costs an arm and a leg....grhhh....one day perhaps Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I got the Wx Toys book for Christmas, but in some ways I'm now leaning back towards the expensive davis kit as opposed to the 1 wire solution..

Regards,

Baggins
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:54:46 PM »

Well the 1-Wire's not been bad but I've some problems with my kit. Most was caused by lightning which took out the anemometer, lightning sensor & USB adaptor. The solar was good during the summer and gave very good readings but now it's just not registering anywhere near what it should be.
The anemometer was great until the lightning strike, very fast updates. The lightning was, well, nothing compared to the Boltek but it's good for the price if you just want to know when there's lightning about, but that's about it.

I'm very happy with what I have just now and I still have the WS2300 connected to my other PC running Cumulus, just as a backup to the Davis.
As for the bubble, I took my time getting that just right this morning (watched by the two rams we have in the field at the moment).
I did notice that the daft excuse for a rubbish trap in the raingauge has gone after last weekends winds.  Roll Eyes I had a quick look around the ISS but couldn't see it and there's no telling how far that's travelled with the sort of wind we were getting so I gave up. 
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 10:47:19 AM »

...and I still have the WS2300 connected to my other PC running Cumulus, just as a backup to the Davis.

I've been running Cumulus for a while too, but using VirtVP as the feed from the Davis...  Smiley

I did notice that the daft excuse for a rubbish trap in the raingauge has gone after last weekends winds.  Roll Eyes I had a quick look around the ISS but couldn't see it and there's no telling how far that's travelled with the sort of wind we were getting so I gave up.
My Davis rain guage filter/trap vanished in the first real gale and I never did find it...  Sad

Regards,

Baggins
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »

My Davis rain guage filter/trap vanished in the first real gale and I never did find it...  Sad
The OS ones are like broad shallow metal tea strainers. I think the mesh is possibly stainless steel. Not sure about the rim -  probably plated, but if so then quite well, as there is little if any rust after a year.

I still have both mine. They have blown out a couple of times, but didn't go far enough to get lost. The gauges are only a couple of feet off the ground, which probably helps, but maybe I should consider a tether in case...  Wink

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 02:59:26 PM »

That's what I had planned for mine with a bit of fishing line, but never got the chance as it didn't hange around long enough for me to fit it.  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: