Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 22, 2018, 04:35:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Storm -17th January 2008  (Read 3992 times)
scanman
Nimbostratus

« on: January 16, 2009, 08:39:33 AM »

This is now shaping up to be a severe weather event, and one which could cause a lot of damage and, potentially, a threat to life and limb. WXSim is currently suggesting wind speeds of 58mph here in the relative shelter of the Fort. Exposed western areas could expect to see gusts even higher. The MetO forecast charts are looking pretty scary, too. Take cover!

Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 12:10:10 PM »

My 04:00 WXsim run for Saturday night:
Dense overcast. Rain. Some thunderstorms likely. Low 5C, but temperatures rising after midnight. Wind south-southeast around 37 kts, gusting to 57 kts, in the evening, becoming south-southwest around 45 kts, gusting to 60 kts, after midnight. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent. Precipitation mostly between 10 and 20 mm. Minimum freezing level 700 meters above sea level.

Looking at the GFS then it seems that it will be over by around 06:00 on Sunday morning and the worst will be between 21:00 Saturday & 03:00 Sunday.
West coast of Ireland will see it quite bad but the low seems to deepen as it shifts Northeast towards Northwestern Scotland.

Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 02:34:30 PM »

been watching the charts for a few days on this one, by my reckoning i reckon gusts of 90mph are more than possible along the north coast to the west of us here in caithness, i put a weather warning out on our local community board a couple of days ago about this too saying i am expecting gusts of up to 80mph here. at the moment the wind is only a breeze here but the baro has just started to speed up on it's decline down the numbers.
at least i am not on the pier tonight, the ferry has cancelled as a strong s/w or s/s/w wind just pushes it away from the pier and on to the rocks over at stromness and that's probably not a good thing lol
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 04:09:25 PM »

Highest gust so far today 77mph here.
Shetland Coastie
Altocumulus

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »

Quite looking forward to this one, a good blow followed by some snow, nice  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: