Scottish Weather Network Forum
July 18, 2018, 01:35:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Signs of the seasons  (Read 782 times)
Ballogieweather
Nimbostratus

« on: April 25, 2009, 02:37:52 PM »

I don't know about you, but I bet there are plenty, who like me are forever looking out for our own 'signs of the seasons'.

Thinking of this today, when I noticed the return of two pairs of Swallows darting around the steading looking for their nesting spots; how I note down things like; the first Daffodil for spring and the first snow for Winter, of course there are many others, and it made me wonder what other folk look out for!

Are we really obsessed with the weather?

I've even taken to recording the amount of nuts taken by the birds each week from the feeder to see how it relates to the local conditions!

Yes I think I am (obsessed, that is) but what a great hobby............
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 06:49:43 PM »

I've not been recording them but what I've noticed so far:

Blackbirds nesting in our garden.
Geese flying in from the SE in their large arrows that they form in the sky.
Redwings have been & gone already.
And best of all, it's light in the evenings again!!  Grin
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »

Thinking of this today, when I noticed the return of two pairs of Swallows
I thought I saw a Swallow a couple of days ago.
I know I saw one about an hour ago.  Grin Grin
This afternoon I heard a Grasshopper Warbler.
Yesterday my wife spotted aWheatear.

Around 2 weeks ago we spotted a Peacock butterfly out of hibernation (they only first started to appear here a couple of years ago). Today I noticed some eggs on a nettle leaf.

The pollarded willow windbreak is starting to get into its stride with new growth - and so is the grass (and the bracken)!

And as Martin mentions it's 2136 and not quite dark.  Grin

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 09:38:12 PM by skyewright » Logged

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 10:18:26 AM »

Plenty of signs of spring over here too.....rapidly apppearing leaves on the trees....1st swallow on the 24th...Ospreys a plenty.....geese still around though..

I heard a rumour the other day that Summer for Scotland will be on a TUESDAY this year.... Grin

Regards,

Baggins
Ballogieweather
Nimbostratus

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 06:38:17 AM »

I just have to add (as it seems to be causing quite a bit of interest around here) that the blooms of almost every new flower seem to be spectacular this year from the early Crocus through now to the Cherry trees, even the woodland flowers appear to be more vibrant (or maybe just more prolific).

Is it just a local thing or has anyone else any comments?
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »

Is it just a local thing or has anyone else any comments?
I don't think I've seen the Blackthorn blossom so well since we moved here (15 years ago). Usually it comes into blossom one morning (making the hillside look as though it has a light fall of snow) then gets blasted within a day or two. This year it had a whole week of good weather, gradually building up blossom density throughout, and is still clinging on after 2 weeks or so.

I recall being told that this, and some in Dunvegan, are supposed to be some of the most northerly Blackthorn in the country? The ones here rarely manage to ripen (or even set) fruit, i.e. if we spot half a dozen sloes along a couple hundred metres of roadside bushes it's a 'good year' - but they are very hard to spot, especially when green.

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:05:58 AM »

Interesting comment on the blossoms....Yes, I too had been discussing the same, as the cherry blossom on one particular tree in our garden being really spectacular this year....normally, this particular tree has just a few isolated flowers, but this time it is covered with them.

I recently drove up from Glasgow via the A82 to Inverness and then home: the Blackthorn blossom was particularly noticeable en-route and at the time I thought that it was somewhat unusual to see so much.

Regards,

Baggins
Shetland Coastie
Nimbostratus

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 08:42:09 PM »

Just to cheer everyone up - autumn isn't far away now! Already losing daylight rapidly up here and starting to get a night chill in the air.
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 09:10:04 PM »

Cheers bob!

btw is your housie just a little way off the main road? i spotted a windy thing on a housie a couple of weeks ago traversing that main road Wink
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 09:40:44 PM »

Just to cheer everyone up - autumn isn't far away now!
The Montbretia (or Crocosmia, as I think we are supposed to call it now) is just starting to flower here.

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 12:52:13 PM »

Same over here with the Monbretia....It seems to be about 3-4 weeks earlier this year, than is the norm......ooooher

Regards,

Baggins
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 05:32:58 PM »

oi you two .... speak english, i don't understand horticultural lol
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 09:44:37 PM »

oi you two .... speak english, i don't understand horticultural lol
A lily style plant with  orange/red flowers. Originally South African, but seems to really like it here and has 'escaped' from gardens in quite a few places.

Usually by the time it comes into flower autumn is just around the corner.

For more, including pictures, see: http://www.english-country-garden.com/flowers/montbretia.htm

Regards
David
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 10:06:03 PM »

thank you Cheesy

i recognise that! there's some around here too on verges Smiley
Ballogieweather
Nimbostratus

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 06:41:38 AM »

Been noticing early signs here as well, and yes those recent cool winds do make it feel less like summer, I'm still sticking with more snow this winter than last!

Thanks Bob for your observation in Shetland, we are coming up there in September by which time, at this rate you could be into Winter.

Any idea's what we can expect, it is our first visit to the Islands.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: