Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 19, 2018, 01:53:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: another newbie  (Read 37812 times)
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 02:36:50 PM »

Afternoon, I have a hole in the wall  Grin, can i attatch the Thermo Hygro sensor to the base station and plug it into the wall allowing me to at least see what the temp is at night.I dont have the telegraph pole yet for the wind sensor, I wont bother with connecting it to a pc just now.
I will need more cable to get to the pole, would weather shop be the way to go or would i get it in Inverness ? ( ie Maplin ect)
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »

sandy,
You will be able to get the cable components from Maplin. Most people recommend using Cat 5 cable for extensions, but I used FCC68 telephone cable (the same type as the original LaCrosse cable) without apparent problem. You will also need some FCC modular plugs and a crimp tool -all from Maplin. Offhand, I cannot remember whether there are 4 or 6 cores needed in the cable.
Chris
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 06:18:13 PM »

Thanks chris
I'll have a look next time i'm in Inverness, it says the temp is -3.5 or -4.2, it was thawing in  the afternoon up till 3pm as it was sunny with blue sky but I wouldnt have thought it was as cold as that but I could be wrong.
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 06:39:18 PM »

I have just found the "wired mode" cable for my WS2350 (I use wireless) It is 4 core cable.

Chris
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 08:18:20 PM »

Thanks chris, You dont join the cable with a double female type of connector then.
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 11:25:05 PM »

No, because the thermo/hygrometer has a socket as does the console so that you can make a cable to your own specs. A join would lead to signal degradation.

Chris
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2011, 02:26:19 PM »

Another question, I have got cable ( to go from the house to the weather station outside ) and plugs from Maplin along with a crimp type grip/ pliers for closing the plugs, there is a little blade bit in the handle with  a "stop" behind it which I take it is for removing the outer part of the cable, this removes the outer cable revealing 5 mm of the individual wires. I take it you just place the individual wires in a level row into the plug and compress the plug ( like a scotch lock ), my question is, am i correct in the above or should I have more than 5mm of the wires going into the plug.
I know I should have got 4 core cable but they didnt have any and I had to get 8 core and have cut off the excess leaving 4 to go into the plug, there looks as there is space for the wires to further into the plug, I could remove more of the outer cable to allow this.
The chap in Maplin said the little wires go in the grooves in the plug to get them go go in the correct position.
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 02:57:25 PM »

The 5mm exposed length will be OK. I use one of the maplin combined strippers/crimpers and it works for me.

Chris
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2011, 03:50:04 PM »

Thanks Carseman
I've only got 2 plugs, one for each end  Smiley, will give it a try when I can get up a ladder !
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2011, 09:54:51 PM »

I always have a couple of spare plugs available, just in case the crimp goes wrong. I also use a LAN cable tester to check that I have got it right. Maplin do one for 9.99 here http://www.maplin.co.uk/rj45-and-rj11-network-cable-tester-99067

Chris
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 01:57:50 PM »

I also use a LAN cable tester to check that I have got it right. Maplin do one
I'll second that. A quick test and at least you know if the cable is okay.  Smiley

Regards
David
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »

Techno line WS-2350
I got a tester  at Maplin and tried it the other day, got a friend to push the button in my flat and I went out into the field and 4 lights were lighting up.
But when I was getting it in Inverness I got the last 2 plugs they had.
When i got the new cable last summer the chap there said to place the wires on the bottom of the plug ( with the tail/ clip part upwards) and crimp it, I had the wires around 10mm long, however this time i saw a different chap ( the staff were asking him questions all the time ) and he said not to have the wires resting on the bottom of the plug but resting on the top of the plug on the inside. The plug in the house end of the cable has the wires in the top of the plug and the one outside has it in the bottom, however the wind info does not appear to be on the base unit as there is a circle in the bottom section ( N, E,W,S ect ) with 3 dashes in it,when I plugged it together there was an arrow type bit on the outside but its not there now and pressing the "set" + button  only brings up LCD 8, there is a cloud symbal with rain coming out the bottom  at the top though  Smiley, I wonder if I should renew the plug outside  ( last plug ) as the wires are going along the bottom of that plug ? ( but wait till the weather is better though !). I wonder if there is a faulty connection on the outside of the cable although it was ok on the tester.
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2011, 10:37:29 PM »

I got a tester  at Maplin and tried it the other day, got a friend to push the button in my flat and I went out into the field and 4 lights were lighting up....wires on the bottom of the plug...this time...on the top of the plug on the inside.... I wonder if I should renew the plug outside...ok on the tester.
Did you compare the sequence of lights at the 2 ends of the tester.
A 'good' cable has the right number of lights showing and the same sequence at both ends.
If the plugs are wired differently (which would be 'a bad thing') you could still get 4 lights, but the sequence of lights would be different at the 2 ends of the tester, because of the crossover.

Regards
David
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2011, 04:44:37 PM »

Just checked before it got too dark as the wind had dropped, it is lighting up the same lights in the house and outside, ie, nos 2,3,4,5., thats putting the plug on the cable in the smaller of the plug holes on the tester and the unit outside. The wind unit is spinning in the wind and on plugging the cable back into the base unit it is giving a wind direction and speed  Huh
edit, scrap that last bit, the wind speed has gone back to 3 dashes again, must be a poor connection I guess.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 05:21:33 PM by sandy » Logged
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 05:37:19 PM »

IMG_5159 by hairypeatcutter, on Flickr

I managed to get a metal pole in place during a calm spell  Smiley, Someone asked if I would need something inline incase of lightening, i had something when I was on the CB years ago, would I need something similar in this case ?.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:32:25 PM by sandy » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: