Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 21, 2018, 06:40:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has 57 member stations!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: another newbie  (Read 37924 times)
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 04:09:09 PM »

I think I would ground the mast, Sandy. I have done that with my anemometer mast, just with a length of earthing cable attached to the mast and buried in the ground.
I'm in the process of enhancing it at I have some aerials up there now for AIS and Airnav Radar so I'm going to get an earth spike and I have earth connectors to go inline with the coax as this also protects against static build up during high winds.  Wink

sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 09:05:31 PM »

Thanks Martin
I'll see what I can find, I'll have an ask around.
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2012, 08:55:30 PM »

Happy New Year SWN  Smiley
I have got another cable to go from the weather station to the base station inside, I got the 4core wire but am still having a job getting the plugs to connect properly  Angry, can the cable tester tell which plug is not correctly on the cable as they both seem ok, I have the crimp part of the plug just catching the outer sleeve, which seems ok as the plug seems firm, or is it meant to be gripping the 4 wires and not the outer sleeve.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »

Happy New Year to you as well Sandy.

If you're using the RJ12 or RJ45 connections then make sure that the ends of the wires are pushed hard up against the end on the connector, so you can see them through the clear plastic.
I use a magnifying glass to check they are "home" before crimping them. It also allows you to make sure the colours a the right way around as well.  Wink

sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »

I'm not having much luck over here.
I have put new plugs on either end of the new cable and put the cable tester on it, there are 2 plug holes on the tester ( Maplin RJ45 & RJ11 Network Cable Tester ) and the plug on the cable will fit into either, I have used the small plug hole in the tester then the slightly larger hole and it lights up 4 lights in either case, ie nos 2, 3, 4, 5 at either end, when the other plug hole is used it is for example 3,4,5,6, when I have moved the plug of the cable tester part outside I would move it on the main part inside
When the new plug/cable is plugged into the console there are 3 dashes in the windspeed with no direction and no outdoor temp and humidity, there is a cloud symbol working, time and pressure, however the the latter 3 are there when the cable's not plugged in to the console.
I have cut the last plug off the cable and left a tail of cable that I could send to someone for their inspection incase I am doing something wrong. 
Just to see if there is any difference I pugged the old cable in ( but the plugs dont grip the cable properly as they are too small for the cable), and I'm getting an Outdoor temp of 48.7F, Humidity 93 and windspeed of 0.8 and wind direction ( hardly any breeze at present ), so am I to deduce that there is a fault with the new cable/plugs ?
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2013, 02:42:38 PM »

The RJ11 plug has 4 terminals, RJ12 (U.S. version) has 6 and the RJ45 has 8 terminals.
The RJ11/12 will fit into the receiver for an RJ45 and looking at the numbers which come up then I assume you have the RJ11.

There's a good tutorial on fitting the connectors here: http://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/tutorials/modulartutorial.html
Make sure which you need for the station, straight through or crossover, as the wiring on the plugs is different and will give different results.  Wink

sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2013, 10:16:07 PM »

The plugs I got from Maplin are FCC68 6P 4C which I believe are RJ11 although it doesn't say it on the packet, when I went to get the first lot of plugs/ cable I went into Maplin with one of the WS-2350 cables with the factory fitted plugs attatched and I have been getting these plugs as these are ones they gave me,which I hope are the correct ones  Wink I was looking this evening to try and see which plugs go with this weather station but can't see mention of them.
The old cable/ plugs still works but there is a poor connection somewhere as when you move the cable the signal stops, hence the new cable.I am doing what they are saying in the link/ instructions above. The plugs on the new cable look ok although it's not working, the ones I put on first appeared ok, I replaced them both and they look fine but are still not working, they are lighting up the lights in the tester.
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 05:24:59 PM »

the plug on the cable will fit into either, I have used the small plug hole in the tester then the slightly larger hole
Best to only use the larger hole for plugs that are too big for the smaller hole.

Regards
David
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »

Thanks for that, as you can see I'm feeling my way somewhat.
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »

75mph gusts last night at around 8pm'ish.
I'll get the plumber to look at these plugs as in a previous life he was a Navy mechanic/ engineer.
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »

75mph gusts last night at around 8pm'ish.
Similar peak here , but 2 hours earlier.

Regards
David
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »

Hello all  Smiley
I've not long returned from away and before the weather broke tried to sort this cable/ plugs out. On looking at the cable that came with the weather station ( too short to use as the pole is further away ) and holding both plugs beside each other ( and them facing the same way ), one plug is black,red,green and yellow, the other is yellow,green,red, black, on changing a plug to get this set up it didn't work but when testing it the lights flashed the same at both ends ( although the plugs looked ok ) Before changing them, I'd had them both ( for example ) black,red, green and yellow at both plugs but that didn't work either. I am at present using the old cable although if I move the base unit the signal cuts out. I have got from a friend in England a Neo Fanless pc, he had it in his loft for his security cameras, he put Heavy Weather on it before I picked up as it is not online at present and doesnt have a disk reader in it. What a difference compared to the base station readout  Smiley, is there any other free software I could try, I know someone mentioned Weather Display. I was wondering  if I could have 2 small pc monitors that would give me one in my flat and another in the house, the cables would only have to go through a wooden floor/ ceiling at a length of around 6ft from the pc.
http://www.kacer.com/product/Fanless%20Solutions/Neo%20Series/neo_fanless_system.htm  the inside parts can be changed to any configuration so mine may not be the same as in the web page, mine has 500mb ram with a 40gb hd, it has xp, at least it won't take up the same space as a tower  Smiley.
Sandy
edit, will have a look at your site Munrobaggins, will also look at  Cumulus and look at Weather Display on the net.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:09:59 PM by sandy » Logged
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2013, 11:50:41 AM »

I got some more plugs over the net from Maplin, FCC68 6P4C and they are the size of the plugs on the original cable that went outside to the weather station but the ones on the first longer cable must have  FCC68 4P4C ( although that's the size Maplin gave me when I went in with a weather station lead so they could see the cable ), I tried again with the new plugs starting off the same as the original cable, ie when holding the original ends of the cable/ plugs the wires were black, red, green yellow with the other plug being yellow, green, red ,black  on trying the tester on it it was flashing 2,3,4,5, outside and 5,4,3,2 inside, I tried another plug but with the wires at one end the other way round so they were black,red,green,yellow on both plugs when viewed from the same side, the lights on the tester were flashing the same at both ends so I plugged it into the control/ base station and there was no temp ( inside or out),no  wind direction,no  wind speed,or pressure ect so I took the plug out and it's been reading ( and changing every minute or so) the wind speed, temps as it would normally but it's not plugged into a cable from the weather station outside !. That's using the new cable ( 4 core,flat bt type ), if the base station is giving a reading with nothing plugged into it from outside how do I know it's giving the correct reading when I plug it into something ?. I think I'll send an email to the place I got it from near Hastings and see what they say.
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »

Just came across this site, interesting  Grin
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-1.48,54.31,588
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2013, 11:18:55 PM »

That, Sir, is cooler than the Fonz!  Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: