Scottish Weather Network Forum
October 18, 2018, 11:14:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SCWN has updated the Mesomap with new features, like the inclusion of Gust Speed, Dew Point, station's home town name.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Thunderstorms 06/07/09  (Read 1666 times)
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« on: July 06, 2009, 01:07:35 PM »

I've had about 7 thunderstorm cells detected on my Boltek this morning already and it is currently tracking 5 cells in the central Highlands.

The ones I'm tracking are, basically, right down the Great Glen with one in the Moray Firth. They started out in the North Sea off Aberdeen and have moved inland. This follows what I've seen on ADT Sferics (Icelandic lightning data supplied from the Met Office) and StrikeStar.

Anyone seen anything?
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 03:07:35 PM »

Anyone seen anything?
No sign here yet. Thankfully!

I have a 1-wire lightning counter now. It's attached to my 'development' 1-wire bus (I'm slowly writing a 1-wire plug-in for meteohub) but at present it's just sat on on a desk, so hardly an ideal location.

My main development interest at present is to make use of the 1-wire data now available from the Inspeed vortex and e-Vane at the top of my new (secondhand) 10m mast. Cheesy I finally got all that lot set up and the wire run put in during last week's good weather. I'm still working on how best to capture the data but initial results are encouraging.

However I sincerely hope the lightning stays clear, as I haven't yet added lightning protection components to the 1-wire bus...

Regards
David
Ballogieweather
Nimbostratus

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 06:38:24 AM »

Only just read your latest Budgie, but you were spot on. We were in the thick of it yesterday as the storms moved in over Aberdeenshire from about 2pm, loads of power failures and mini flash floods (sand bags required in Aboyne and Ballater).
We suffered one hit which took out my hub's power supply around 7:30pm (found a spare though) (note to self- must get some protection for that) after that, not sure how or why but the whole area lost phone lines for over two hours.
All in all some afternoon and evening!
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 09:21:04 AM »

Nexstorm have been continually tracking storms in the North Sea since around 8am yesterday and continues to track two even now.
They are moving off across the North Sea towards Denmark and Norway now but it's been a busy few days for the Boltek.  Grin

Looks like you had your wish David, nothing over this side of the country.
note to self- must get some protection for that
All my stuff runs through a UPS and anything that doesn't is on a surge protected supply.  Grin
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:24:34 PM »

All my stuff runs through a UPS and anything that doesn't is on a surge protected supply.  Grin
Same here on the mains side, but I was thinking in this case of the 1-wire bus. Up to now all sensors have been wireless. Now my meteohub computer (and via the network cabling all the rest too!) are connected to an anemometer at the top of a 10m mast...

PS. Any one had experience with 'precipitation static'? It seems to be the most likely cause of a problem I'm having with new gear. Everything is great till it rains, then for the duration of the shower windspeed goes crazy, clocking in at around 10 times what it should be! I think  treatment may involve grounding the anemometer (the mast is fibreglass) and perhaps shielded cable up the pole, but if anyone has other suggestions I'm happy to hear them.

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 08:39:12 AM »

Not the cheapest option David, but there are these Surge Protectors that are highly recommended for the Davis.
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 07:07:04 PM »

Not the cheapest option David, but there are these Surge Protectors that are highly recommended for the Davis.
Interesting. If I've understood correctly these sit between the physical sensor and the electronics, with attachment to their own ground?

I'd not come across that option, before, just various circuits to add protection 'inside' the 1-wire system e.g. these. Something that prevents the surge getting as far as the electronics has quite an appeal. I'll ponder on that.

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 12:13:36 PM »

A bit late now Budgie...although you may have noticed that I was looking at your lightning page over those lightning days to correlate what I was seeing on my/your Boltek detector...It was a very interesting period and I must admit to being quite impressed with the Boltek results....However, I wasn't seeing anything from our 2 sites that appeared on WASP2 until about day 3...a bit of a disappointment considering we both upload our data.....mmm

At the moment I still have my Boltek Ae just stuck on the window glass with Bluetac near my PC.....I haven't bothered to uncoil the megga feet of cable to a decent location (too difficult category) and it is likely to stay as-is...the results seem V good anyway. Wink

Regards,

Baggins
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 05:41:44 PM »

I tried mine on the roof on day 2 and got a load of hits to SW of me, about 600 in 20 minutes and I knew that wasn't right!
So it's back in the loft again now but I have invested in a 100m roll of exterior CAT5 cable as that stuff that's up there now isn't in the best condition after 2 years powering my 1-Wire kit. So I may replace the CAT5 in the near future and try again to see what happens.

I know what you mean about StrikeStar but I think that's looking for three stations to plot a strike, so unless the two of us plus Andy at Boarders Weather all agree then nothing will register. I just keep an eye of yours & Andy's sites and get my triangulated data from the Icelandic Weather Service who get their data from the Met Office. I also judge my ranging from them as well and most of the time my Boltek is in agreement with their positioning, so I'm happy with that.  Grin
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 09:45:06 PM »

anyone has other suggestions I'm happy to hear them.
I'm still monitoring the result but adding a 'low pass filter' (a combination of a resistor and a capacitor) seems to have done the trick.

Regardless of rain the new anemometer is now giving an average that is just a touch higher than the OS WMR928 lower down the mast, but substantially better gusts.  Grin

I'll not be using the new anemometer 'publically' quite yet, but I think we are now heading in the right direction.   Smiley

Regards
David
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 04:55:49 PM »

been offline for a month because a thunder storm developed right on top of us! it hit and destroyed a hose in the village, blew my main phone socket, the extension socket, the home hub and the motherboard on the computer on 2nd july, just got the weather station back online yesterday with a new computer Cheesy

can't work out why i'm still showing as offline on this map though Sad - knowing me it'll be something stupid i forgot to do again lol
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 05:14:56 PM »

can't work out why i'm still showing as offline on this map though Sad - knowing me it'll be something stupid i forgot to do again lol

Your clientraw.txt shows a time of 10:06:41 (with today's date).
Chris
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »

Hi Paula,

Glad you're back with us, thought it had been quiet around her for a while.  Grin

As Chris says, it's your clientraw.txt file, it doesn't seem to be updating. Look for the yellow box down by the clock on your screen and if it's not there then restart it by going to Control Panel > Web Files/Web Page/Realtime FTP > Realtime Client - then press the "Start Now" button near the top.
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 09:04:58 PM »

thanks guys Smiley
little yellow box is there so not sure what it is yet that's stopping the updating
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 12:01:44 AM »

if you double click on the box then a window will open and tell you what it's up too.  Wink
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: