Scottish Weather Network Forum
July 18, 2018, 03:44:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SCWN has updated the Mesomap with new features, like the inclusion of Gust Speed, Dew Point, station's home town name.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Breezy for August?  (Read 276 times)
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« on: August 16, 2009, 11:15:19 AM »

Hi,

It's been a bit quiet around here recently so, did anyone else catch a stiff breeze yesterday?

At 2003 yesterday my WMR200 @ 5m (the one supplying the website) clocked up 37mph as average, with a max gust of 47mph at 1932.

The Inspeed Vortex/1-wire @ 10m (not yet supplying the website, as I want to shift it a bit before I switch to it), registered a 3 second gust of 77mph @ 1931 and a (1 minute) average of 64 mph at the same time.

I was in the kitchen around that time with a good view of the garden. It was quite wild out there for August; some willows that I've planted to form an arch were just about horizontal.

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »

It was a tad on the windy side up here yesterday as well.
Max Average was 37 knots (43 mph)
Max Gust was 44 knots (51 mph)
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 07:02:09 PM »

I had noticed that it was quite windy over Elgol way...not 3 bad over here, but it did blow over a number of potted plants on our driveway which was a bit unusual...we were getting 30mph winds recorded on the anemom's at the time, so I daresay the odd vortices's round the house were above that.. Wink

Regards,

Baggins
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 01:07:36 PM »

Think the max i had here yesterday was about 42mph at stupid o'clock in the morning lol was definately wet this morning too!
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 01:25:50 PM »

Think the max i had here yesterday was about 42mph at stupid o'clock in the morning lol was definately wet this morning too!
This morning I was talking to someone from Wick and she'd had a lot of damage to plants in the garden Saturday night => early Sunday Morning.

Our garden faired remarkably well. It seems that the windbreaks and shrubs we've planted over the years are now getting mature enough to give a bit of protection to the rest.

It's a bit ironic that in places we are trying to create areas protected from the wind, but elsewhere I'm trying to get an anemometer up into a good clean airstream! LOL

Regards
David
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 05:47:57 PM »

Recorded 52mph max gust on Saturday 15th here in Barra.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: