Scottish Weather Network Forum
October 16, 2018, 01:37:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has RSS for updates and News.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Bill  (Read 758 times)
weathermaster
Cirrus

« on: August 20, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »

Hi

Looks like the Hurricane Bill will arrive here next week. Below I have drawn out the path it should take.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 11:38:37 PM »

You've not seen my new page then Sean: http://www.hebwx.co.uk/wxstorms.php  Grin
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 10:23:38 AM »

Quite a match there....Very neat Budgie....i was thinking of doing similar a few days ago...

Skyewright had better check his new anemometer setups by the look of things....ooooher....better check my garden too Wink

Regards,

Baggins
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 10:47:36 AM »

I see one of the predicted tracks on my site this morning shows it's postion as right on top of Stornoway on Wednesday!  Shocked
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 12:36:56 PM »

You've not seen my new page then Sean: http://www.hebwx.co.uk/wxstorms.php  Grin

Very cool!!  Grin

Anyway here my new forecast path
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 02:16:51 PM »

Skyewright had better check his new anemometer setups by the look of things
It has ridden out okay so far.
The guys could easily be made tighter, but I understand that they are not meant to be too tight (whatever that means!), as you don't want to be putting much compression on the mast.

Judged by standing inside the house with head in a well supported position, lining up the mast against a vertical (e.g. side of a window frame) and seeing if any movement can be observed, the new mast moves substantially less than the (shorter) old one. During our lunchtime walk around the garden I stood at the base and looked straight up, as well as I could tell and feel there was little movement (average for last 60min at the top of the mast was 31mph, gusting to 42mph [3 second rolling sample]).

I see one of the predicted tracks on my site this morning shows it's postion as right on top of Stornoway on Wednesday!  Shocked
Martin's own page seems to have it making a beeline that way...

Oh well, you know how weather is, many things could change between now and Wednesday/Thursday.

PS. If anyone thought it seemed a bit dry here yesterday at only 4.6mm, that has now been corrected to 21.2mm. There was a slight comms problem between Meteohub and WD that only affected rain. Correcting rain in WD is an 'interesting' experience...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:21:06 PM by skyewright » Logged

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 09:31:03 PM »

Very cool!!  Grin

Anyway here my new forecast path

Thanks Sean, keep the maps coming as it's interesting to see your predictions as well as the others.  Smiley

Correcting rain in WD is an 'interesting' experience...

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, sent the post card and that lot took less time than correcting the ******lg.txt file!!  Cheesy
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 10:13:22 AM »

Correcting rain in WD is an 'interesting' experience...
As you say "interesting"....I tried a couple of times, ages ago, but made things worse...so at that point decided for the future, that as long as the figures were pretty insignificant in the larger scale of things, that I would leave things well alone....If only Brian could come up with an automatic one stop entry alteration plan..Even the FAQ is difficult...aghhhhhh

It will be interesting to see how much the low pressure of Bill fills before hitting our coasts....996 seems to be the current guestimate
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:15:35 AM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 12:15:06 PM »

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, sent the post card and that lot took less time than correcting the ******lg.txt file!!  Cheesy
...as long as the figures were pretty insignificant in the larger scale of things, that I would leave things well alone....Even the FAQ is difficult...
I didn't have enough spare time to contemplate an 82009lg.txt repair, so I settled for correcting the headline figures and averages & extremes by following the FAQ. You'll probably not be surprised to hear that it required several goes before I arrived at the figures I hoped for.

WD missed 15mm with a 0.25mm tip, so that would be 60 tips to patch in if I wanted it get 82009lg.txt 'just right' as well.

To get the rainfall history in 'correct' 82009lg.txt my simplest option would probably be take advantage of the fact that Meteohub has all the raw sensor readings, wait till August is completed, "rerun" the month on a separate instance of WD pulling the data out of Meteohub, then copy the resulting 82009lg.txt back to the main instance of WD. As the Wx stats are now showing correctly I may well decide I have other things to do...

Hmmm. Just took a look at Martin's page. The estimated track for Bill seems to have shifted south a bit. The centre line is now pretty much straight over Elgol, and then onward not terribly far north of Elgin....

Regards
David
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 12:27:23 PM »

nah, it'll blow itself out  Tongue lol
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 02:35:07 PM »

Update
Pages: [1]
  Print