Scottish Weather Network Forum
April 27, 2018, 06:03:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice needed about davis station  (Read 212 times)
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« on: August 26, 2009, 02:37:52 PM »

ok got a rather large project to get off the ground and i need some advice from those of you with davis vantage pro 2 stations.

basically there are 4 stations in different locations that are 'owned' by the same people, and they want to upload their data to my website.
i went to see one of the stations today, it looks like the station isn't talking to the base unit, i am guessing this is due to batteries? meeting up again next tuesday afternoon to see if we can rectify this problem, so other ideas and solutions welcome.

it'll take a while to get set up and live because the stations are located in four primary schools, and permission is now being sought from the council to install dedicated computer and use broad band or whatever it is each school has.

advice gratefully received Smiley
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 07:13:34 PM »

...davis vantage pro 2 stations.
...i went to see one of the stations today, it looks like the station isn't talking to the base unit, i am guessing this is due to batteries?

I am presuming that you are talking about these being WIRELESS VP2's.....If that is the case, then although there is a solar panel on the outdoors ISS unit, there is also a "backup" Lithium (photo)123 (3 volt) battery for the data transmission etc etc...  Although this battery will last upwards of a year under circumstances where the solar panel can re-charge the internal SuperCapacitor (Supercap), the battery is something that can be quite easily overlooked and does get used quite a bit I suspect, in our wx and latitude.  I generally change mine preceeding the winter months.  Surprisingly, these batteries can be bought quite cheaply in Lidls supermarkets, so if one is near to you!!!?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:15:30 PM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:14:23 AM »

thanks munro Smiley yes there's a lidl in thurso and wick Smiley
i'll pick one up to take with me on tuesday afternoon.
another thought also occured to me (dangerous i know lol) the 'bits' are all on the flat roof of the school, the base unit directly underneath it, does this stuff run better with a more horizontal signal rather than vertical anyone know?
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 11:58:30 AM »

yes there's a lidl in thurso and wick Smiley....Excellent...They generally sell the maxell variant...their battery number being CR123A..3v Photo-Power LITHIUM Camera battery (3v)
another thought also occured to me (dangerous i know lol) the 'bits' are all on the flat roof of the school, the base unit directly underneath it, does this stuff run better with a more horizontal signal rather than vertical anyone know?......

As for the Ae's..It is generally better to have the Ae's on the same plane with the Ae being vertical...ie radiation is doughnut shaped around the Ae...But as the setup you describe is not ideal for that (Ae's above one another, although the proximity of the Ae's is close) you will probably get a better signal if the Ae's are actually more horizontal....only experimentation will prove if this is the case, but the likelyhood is that it will.   
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 02:35:47 PM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
Ballogieweather
Nimbostratus

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:05:57 PM »

I would agree, check battery first, I get through about two each year (allthough I do run UV and Solar as well), one word of warning though, I did try using cheap ones but found that they gave hardly any low battery warning before dying totally, whereas with the good ones I get two days at least.

If it proves not to be  a dead battery, check all the connectors on the board in the ISS, I had a faulty one (which I understand is quite common) which gave me all sorts of problems to start of with, some censers would work, others didn't then none would, then all would etc. It got replaced under warranty and has been great since, whilst on that subject there are a load of units out there that have faulty temp/humidity units  that are prone to fail when moisture levels are high, there is an upgrade kit which Davis supplies to combat this (again I got this sent FOC).

Best of luck with the project, sounds a good one.
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 06:19:21 PM »

thanks for the advice guys Smiley
i'll see what can be arranged regarding the 'line of sight' for the unit and base station Smiley
i rather think the cog in the works could be the highland council lol
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 07:05:18 PM »

i rather think the cog in the works could be the highland council lol
Maybe not...it is most likely an anti-vandal measure to have the ISS etc above the classroom...the Vandals/thieves being a greater threat Wink
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:38:12 AM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 08:00:16 PM »

ok update on this,
changed the battery and everything seems fine except the temp/humidity sensor
is there a way to get in to it or to check it without wrecking it?
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 09:10:25 PM »

Yep,

Three screws in the base of the raingauge, unscrew them and the radiation shield with come away.
If you can't get it going after cleaning the gauze cover then there are a couple of tests to do that are in the troubleshooting section of the manual.
If these don't work then contact McMurdo in Portsmouth, explain the issue (including the tests) and they should sent a replacement temp/hum sensor as the one's made pre-2006 have a known problem.  Wink
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 09:21:31 PM »

that's brilliant thank you budgie Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: