Scottish Weather Network Forum
April 24, 2018, 01:31:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you all had enough rain?  (Read 171 times)
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« on: September 03, 2009, 07:33:44 PM »

I see some of you on the Eastern side of the country have been having a good dose of rain today, in fact I think they're some of the highest daily totals I've seen for quite some time.
Midmar - 58 mm
Ballogie - 54.6 mm
Inverurie - 38.4 mm
Knaven - 36.4 mm

There are another 5 stations with over 30mm and it's still falling.
SEPA have 17 Flood Watches, 2 Flood Warnings and 1 (River Tyne at Haddington) Severe Flood Warning in effect for tonight, although their website is a bit busy so it may take some time to load. http://apps.sepa.org.uk/Floodwarnings/Default.aspx 
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 08:35:38 PM »

Someone was telling me earlier today where they live in Lothian it is flooded very badly and trees where going down the rivers. Lots of roads closed today to. But here in Barra its been sunny with no rain  Tongue
Ballogieweather
Nimbostratus

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 08:38:11 PM »

Been constant all day with a bit more to come; I recon, till about mid day tomorrow, think it's down to Danny (tropical storm that was).
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 09:39:12 PM »

I see some of you on the Eastern side of the country have been having a good dose of rain today, in fact I think they're some of the highest daily totals I've seen for quite some time.
Midmar - 58 mm
Ballogie - 54.6 mm
Inverurie - 38.4 mm
Knaven - 36.4 mm

I'd been thinking of asking how others had done for rain in August.
Here is was the wettest month on record (but only counting since December 2007) at 288.8mm for the month, including 59.4mm on Sunday 23rd.

At the start of August we were over 100mm behind on last year and a neighbour who is on a private water supply had run dry for a few days in late July. By the end of the month we were ahead of 2008, and that same neighbour had to send her son up the hill to dig out the inlet for their pipe because there had been so much rain it had washed in a load of silt off the hillside.

Regards
David
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 10:45:54 PM »

We have had, so far today, 30mm for a total for this year to date of 331mm. My wxsim forecast  is giving another 4mm tonight and another 26mm tommorrow Sad
Chris
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:50:33 PM by carseman » Logged
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 09:27:32 AM »

My WxSim fcst had been going for a deluge since last Sunday for Thurs/Friday...I was doubting all the precipitation figures that it was saying we were going to get...It was just about spot-on..yesterday the forecast was for 40 to 50mm...we got 45.2mm...Today was for 50mm again and so far a total of 21.4 with a little more to come.   Surprisingly, the latest forecast for today (from 7am) has a further <5mm only...

The River Lossie has flooded over the banks down below here (I'm on a quite high escarpment fortunately).  I'm also hearing on the radio that the council are evacuating betwen 200-400 homes locally....oooher..

....and the main A96 road to Aberdeen is closed together with the Inv to Abn rail line..
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:31:12 AM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 09:35:09 AM »

The River Lossie has flooded over the banks down below here (I'm on a quite high escarpment fortunately).  I'm also hearing on the radio that the council are evacuating betwen 200-400 homes locally....oooher..

....and the main A96 road to Aberdeen is closed together with the Inv to Abn rail line..
The Highlands & Islands news on Radio Scotland just before 0800 read out a whole list of schools that were closed for the day.
On the R4 weather just before 0700 I think they mentioned 90mm of rain at Lossiemouth!  Shocked

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 10:51:37 AM »

My wx stn recorded around 67 mm rain in just over 24 hrs here....a little unusual.!

Regards,

Baggins
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:10:46 AM »

attached piccie is of Oldmills Road at the bottom of my garden... no traffic today

Regards,

Baggins
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 11:30:59 AM »

attached piccie is of Oldmills Road at the bottom of my garden... no traffic today
Without the roadside furniture you wouldn't know it from a river!

At least when it rains heavy here it doesn't have far to go to reach the sea, and has the benefit of decent slope to help it along for most of the way...

Regards
David
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 11:35:49 AM »

My wx stn recorded around 67 mm rain in just over 24 hrs here....a little unusual.!
Has it been a steady drench, or with pulses of really heavy stuff?

The other Sunday over half our rainfall came in two separate 20-30 minute deluges.

Yesterday & today the main feature of the weather here has been an almost total lack of wind. We are directly 'behind the hill' from what wind there is. Just over 7 miles windrun for the day yesterday.

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 11:42:04 AM »

Has it been a steady drench, or with pulses of really heavy stuff?
Pretty steady for the most part, with the odd heavier bursts here and there...this Piccie is from the S/by Wx Stn (WS2310) setup on this PC..
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:50:56 AM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 02:25:10 PM »

we were pretty much ok, the usual places on the rivers through wick and thurso burst their banks but nothing drastic that i've heard.
went out yesterday afternoon taking pics and i think this is the most expressive one

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: