Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 24, 2018, 11:55:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has 57 member stations!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stormy weather for scotland  (Read 7695 times)
Cookie
Nimbostratus

« on: September 29, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »

At the weekend, looks like it could be windy for scotland over the weekend. not as bad as a few weeks back. but could be 50 mph to 60 mph in places
Shetland Coastie
Altocumulus

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:04:35 PM »

Aye Cookie, worst is forecast to be overnight tomorrow up here with Northerly Gales gusting between 60-70mph according to the local fx.

Smiley
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 06:32:26 AM »

60.1MPH gust at 06:24 this morning.  Wink

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 09:49:21 AM »

60.1MPH gust at 06:24 this morning.  Wink
53.0mph @ 06:35

On Thursday I extended my mast to the full 12m to take the head out of roof induced turbulence from WSW-W, and at the same time made an addition[1].

Extending the mast involved moving all the spiders so the guys all needed re-tweaking. It seems there wasn't enough time before the gale to work all the slack out of the system, so this morning there was quite a lot of snaking and gyration! All was okay, but I was very keen to get out and tighten round again!

[1] I have finally got around to joining the VP2 crowd.  Grin
Not fully set up yet. This morning I rigged up a temporary post for the ISS. Not level enough for rain (and not where I want it to end up either) but I have at least managed to get the anemo plugged as of about 20 minutes ago.
The console isn't yet connected to the computer.
Console readings seem to be corresponding well to the collocated Vortex (adding confidence to the figures that has already been giving).
Watching 2.5 second updates on the console is still a novelty...  Grin

Regards
David
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »

Top gust on my station was 62mph at 2:10am. Our airport weather station reporting 70mph gusts at the moment.
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 10:57:46 AM »

I'm hoping that we see nothing more than the max 39mph[1] we've had so far in this urban environment.  I have far too many fully mature beech trees in full leaf to survive the much higher winds that you guys on Skye and the Isles so frequently get.  Mind you, I daresay that is why you have so few trees anyway. Wink Wink

1. now max 47mph Ooooohher
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:35:29 AM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 12:37:56 PM »

Mind you, I daresay that is why you have so few trees anyway. Wink Wink
Our rowans have lost most of their remaining leaves over night.
The willows are having a great time (assuming they enjoy thrasing about  Undecided).

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 01:00:59 PM »

Trees, that's them big leafy things that you see on the mainland ain't it?  Cheesy

Still averaging 40mph over here, top gust 61mph at 12:01 with top 10 minute average of 57mph at 13:15.

Welcome to the VP2's David!!  Grin

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »

Still averaging 40mph over here, top gust 61mph at 12:01 with top 10 minute average of 57mph at 13:15.
Down to 10-15mph here now that it's "gone round the corner" from our point of view and there's a substantial hill in the way (I'd need a mast so tall it'd need air traffic clearance to avoid that obstacle! LOL).

Welcome to the VP2's David!!  Grin
I now have it attached to Meteohub. Judged from the first 6hr or so it has been slightly beating the Vortex on max gust and average wind.  Later I hope to have it attached to the Weather PC and fed to Meteohub by VirtualVP for extra flexibility.

Regards
David
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 06:54:49 PM »

My best was 43.6 mph at 08:50. I am using my WS3050 in wireless mode. I was watching outside as the trees rocked in the gusts and there was no immediate response on the WD screen. I must convert the sensors to wired mode. Am I correct in assuming that the windspeed reading in wireless mode are around 12 seconds and 3 seconds in wired mode? Secondly, I have noticed that my output on the SCWN map frequently shows windspeed > gust. Several other stations today were doing the same - does anyone know what setting need to be changed in WD?

Chris
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 08:06:40 PM »

.... I must convert the sensors to wired mode. Am I correct in assuming that the windspeed reading in wireless mode are around 12 seconds and 3 seconds in wired mode?
I can't be sure of the exact figures for yours, as my kit is the WS2310 (32 secs wireless W/S >10m/sec but 8 secs cable from the manual).  I would suspect that the 3050 may be better.  Thus it would be a major benefits when wired.  As to your 2nd Q, yes, I too have noticed similar.  If I remember correctly the topic was discussed on the WD forum a little while back with some info by Windy (Brian)...an initial search by me has failed to find the thread though. Sad

Regards,

Baggins
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 08:42:17 PM »

Thanks Baggins. As I write this I have just found the manual lying in front of me for my 2350 (I knew that there was a 50 in there somewhere  Smiley) The specs show a reporting rate of 32 secs for WS >10m/s ,128 secs for <10m/s (on wireless) and 8 secs for wired. -It's out with the cable, plugs and crimper tomorrow Smiley

Chris
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 08:45:10 PM »

I think it's something like the windspeed is the current speed but the gust is the highest recorded wind over a 10 minute period, thus can be less than the current.  Huh

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 09:04:04 PM »

I think it's something like the windspeed is the current speed but the gust is the highest recorded wind over a 10 minute period, thus can be less than the current.  Huh
Within WD itself the 'gust' figure can be less than the current 'wind' figure if there happens to be a falling trend, because the gust is "now" and the wind is a 10 minute rolling average.

In terms of the SCWN page I suppose it depends on which clientraw.txt (or equivalent) fields are used for the data.

Regards
David
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: