Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 22, 2018, 10:35:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has 57 member stations!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Snowy spell coming up?  (Read 13986 times)
Shetland Coastie
Altocumulus

« on: December 12, 2009, 07:06:32 PM »

Hi folks.

The models are currently showing a likely cold spelll coming up from about Tues/Weds onwards, which may well extend into the festive period. Looks like there could be a good bit of snow about. Hope you've all got the winter woolies ready!  Grin
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 02:07:28 AM »

I'm happy we ain't got any more stormy and wet weather. I like the weather at the moment sunny spells and cold. But with possible snow on the way it just gets better.
Ballogieweather
Nimbostratus

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »

I'm in agreement on that.

I've got snowy conditions from about the 20th; with the duration covering the festive period, now wont that be grand!
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 10:17:52 AM »

My WXSim is now starting to show snow in the forecast from Saturday onwards with windchill down to -7 on Sunday.
Although Wundergound are being a wee bit optimistic with a windchill to -15.  Roll Eyes

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 05:19:33 PM »

Met Office have a watch out for Sunday,

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of north and western Scotland, Northern Ireland, northwest England and northern Wales on Sunday. Heavy snow showers may give accumulations of 2-5cm and there is a risk of 5-10cm over hills.
Shetland Coastie
Altocumulus

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 02:49:11 PM »

Heavy, driving snow up here at the moment with blizzard conditions. Been heavy snow off and on since first thing this morning.  Grin
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 05:51:33 PM »

Passing snow showers down here but they are mostly snow pellets. Still giving a slight covering on the ground and more to come looking at the radar.

Shetland Coastie
Altocumulus

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 06:47:25 PM »

Well its been pretty hellish for the last couple of hours here and the roads are atrocious. Im on nights tonight and they're sending the Lerwick team out in the 4X4 to pick me up lol! Met Office has just issued a flash weather warning for Orkney & Shetland for further, heavy overnight snow!
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 09:29:08 PM »

I'm on dayshift and having my own 4x4 I have to pick up most of the watch on the way in in the morning.  Cheesy
Heavy snow showers coming through here at the moment, still it's nice in front of our new wood burner.  Grin

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 09:40:35 PM »

Around 2cm on the ground when I was last out at around 5pm. Lots of snow showers through the day with gusts up to 42mph. At around 1430 the temp took a particular tumble to almost -2C and we had a new max (min?) windchill of almost -9C. I'm sure it's worse elsewhere - NW to N are our most sheltered directions!

Regards
David
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 12:33:30 AM »

been interesting here today, max gust of wind 61.9mph this morning at 11.30 with a wind chill of around -10c and i was out working in it brrrrrrrrrrr  Undecided
been working late tonight too, what snow showers we have had have been fast and furious but not heavy though.

hope i wake up to about 3ft of snow - i'm not working tomorrow but have to drive out to a friend in reay with some salt so they can get out of the house! lol

and yes i have a tonka truck (4x4) and it has been in 4 wheel drive all afternoon because the roads where i am haven't been gritted til about 10pm tonight!
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 10:10:06 AM »

More snow here overnight....about 4cm...quite pretty as long as you don't have to go anywhere by car....It looks really dark to the NW of us, where I would imagine that there is plenty of snow still falling...

Regards,

Baggins
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 10:56:57 AM »

A dusting of snow here and a few cms on the hills.

Uploaded a video of the snow I recorded included current temps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5B2FviBc4
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 11:18:56 AM »

Mostly rain & sleet here this morning with the occasional flash of lightning.

munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 11:53:17 AM »

..... with the occasional flash of lightning.
Well, that kinda explains why my Boltek has been going a bit OTT this am....I thought that maybe I had messed up the settings a tad on the changeover....mmm

Regards,

Baggins
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: