Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 22, 2018, 10:34:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has 57 member stations!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snowy spell coming up?  (Read 13983 times)
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 12:12:56 PM »

It's lightning alright, even the Icelandics agree: http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?  Grin

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 12:21:15 PM »

A dusting of snow here and a few cms on the hills.
4-5cm of lying snow here this morning.

Regards
David
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 05:24:12 PM »

It's lightning alright, even the Icelandics agree: http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?  Grin

Wow am I right in thinking there has been lightning strikes down at my part? Didn't notice anything just that showers are really heavy with gusty winds.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 06:42:45 PM »

It's quite hard to see the lighting Sean, we saw a couple of flashes up here and heard one rumble of thunder but there's a lot more around, it's just hidden in the squally showers.  Wink

munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 02:11:11 PM »

I saw some very impressive series of lightning flashes last night around the 0300 time frame.  Shocked Shocked Something I have never seen before in Elgin during the winter.  At the time there was heavy sleet/snow for some hours and I had been awoken by the very bright lightning flashes.  Needless to say they were also being detected by my Boltek which was an excellent confirmation, although it would appear that some flashes that could be seen were well over 20 miles south of us. 

It is surprisingly warm here now (+2C) after the very cold days/nights of the last few days.  Plenty of lying snow too and I expect that there are considerable amounts to the south of us in the mountains.

Regards,

Baggins
SunnySymington
Nimbostratus

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 09:28:10 AM »

Hi guys, long time since I posted here, but I'm a regular lurker.

We reached an all time minimum last night of -13.1C, 1.5C lower than the last minimum.  It might have been colder the previous night, but the station was offline.  I recall several years ago, before the station was setup here, we had a -15C overnight, but that was only registered on our car's temperature guages and can't be relied on.

As for snow, you know it's getting serious, when children start getting bored with it.  It's snowed every day for a week now.  Like many other parts, we have accumulations of well over a foot and from the satellite and radar images, there's more to come this morning.

Take care everyone and have a peaceful and safe Christmas.
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 11:35:51 AM »

We reached an all time minimum last night of -13.1C, 1.5C lower than the last minimum.
eek! A mere -2.4 minimum here.

Regards
David
SunnySymington
Nimbostratus

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 11:48:29 PM »

A week later on and there is no end in sight to the Arctic weather Sad

We've just passed our minimum yet again, now reading -14.5'C and quite likely to go even lower tonight Shocked

The site here is quite exposed to low temperatures.  We are about 220m asl on the Northern edge of the Southern Uplands, sitting above the River Clyde sandwiched between Tinto Hill and Coulter Fell.  With no urban heat to keep us warm and crystal clear skies we get some quite low temps in winter, but this spell has been the worst we can recall.  Talking to some of the old timers in the village here, it's not just us that think so either.

I had planned some upgrades to the station - a new video camera is ready to be mounted outside to take away the reflections off the window.  I suspect it will be several weeks before it it safe enough to climb a ladder to fix it up.

Stay safe and warm everyone!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: