Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 22, 2018, 10:14:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help Getting Data  (Read 5988 times)
weathermaster
Cirrus

« on: February 01, 2010, 05:09:40 PM »

Hi,

I need metar data to give to Xcweather for a station on Barra. I have contacted Xcweather and we have tried before but they couldn't get the data for the station. Its called EGPR Barra its the airport station found here http://skylinkweather.com/metar/metarmapindex.php?country=uk&stationid=EGPR&scale=50&maptype=wind&zoom=in&mapstyle=cutout I asked skylink weather where they get the data from but didn't tell me lol. Anyone know how to?
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 12:11:39 AM »

Barra has it's own met equipment (it's not from the UKMO) so the best thing you can do is drop into the Tower next time your up that way and ask about it. Like where they send the Metar, how often is it sent, is it 24/7 and would they mind XCWeather using it.
It may also be worth asking if you could use it while your there.  Wink

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 05:12:55 PM »

Thanks Budgie. Do you have any idea who owns the other weather station not the airport one the other one skylink weather has it as Barra Island. Xcweather said they found the data for it but said it hasn't been maintained for ages I'm wondering if I found out who ever owned it if they could fix it up to date because its in a excellent location for wind speeds.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 08:43:14 PM »

Sorry Sean, I only know about yours & the one at the airport.  Sad

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 11:40:19 PM »

That's ok. I knew I had a picture of it on my website in the snow,

That's it there. Don't think it would say who owns it on it? Must go up and check it out.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 12:51:11 PM »

That's a Met Office remote sensor.
It just feeds back to the UKMO, no METAR is produced from these types of stations.
There's one just down the road from me and you can see them all over the islands & Highlands.  Wink

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 01:13:14 PM »

Thanks Grin if the Met Office own it how come they don't show it on there site? Or do they only show some stations.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 03:14:30 PM »

I think they only show the sites that can give the main reports.
If you look at the instruments on this one, it will only give the wind speed & direction, Temp & humidity.
The main stations, although automatic, still have things like a rain gauge, wet bulb, dry bulb and barometric pressure. They are also generally at "manned" locations so that things like sky cover, cloud type and general weather conditions can be reported.

Have a scan through the UKMO website and see if you can find anything about these stations.  Wink

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 04:10:34 PM »

Thanks for the explanation Smiley couldn't find anything on there site just reports from 2005 on the conditions during that bad storm.
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »

The main stations, although automatic, still have things like a rain gauge, wet bulb, dry bulb and barometric pressure. They are also generally at "manned" locations so that things like sky cover, cloud type and general weather conditions can be reported.
The Lusa station on Skye used to get a daily visit at ~9am to read the manual instruments for verification, but sometime last year that stopped and from what I can gather, aside from the occasional maintenance visit, the station is now running and reporting entirely on auto...

Regards
David
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: