Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 20, 2018, 07:05:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has 57 member stations!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying A New Weather Station  (Read 11794 times)
weathermaster
Cirrus

« on: February 12, 2010, 03:17:18 PM »

I might have mentioned that I was saving up for a new one. Well now that I have enough money I am going to get the Vantage Pro 2 http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/davis_6152CUK.html

But while I wait for it to come I know where I am going to put the sensor and rain guage at the bottom of my garden. But its the anemometer I am having trouble to know where to put it. Now my house is a tower very tall compared to others around it and I'm just wondering if I put a anemometer on the roof is the vantage pros anemometer good? Because I don't want to be going up there after every storm fixing it.
SunnySymington
Nimbostratus

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 10:57:13 PM »

I can't say from personal experience, but from feedback I've read elsewhere the Davis Vantage kit is very good.  Of course, Scottish weather can be a little rough at times, so no guarantees; but I would like to think you would be ok.

On a similar vein, I've been recently suffering from wireless connection dropout problems with my aging WS2300 and have started to consider a Vantage Vue.

Do you have any thoughts about the Vue versus the Pro?
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:08:03 AM »

Weathermaster: A very good choice in getting the Davis VP2 I would say Smiley Smiley....an excellent piece of kit and you won't be disappointed.   As for the mounting of the anemometer, it will always be best to mount it as near as possible to the standard height for such instruments...ie 10 meters above ground level.  However, as most folk don't have a super duper proper braced mast, invariably some sort of alternative is used....ie a roof chimney on the house.  I have my Davis anemometer mounted in such a way, but getting into the undisturbed wind flow above the roofline can still be problematic.  The mast itself is a substantial TV type with a short smaller diameter extension piece sleeved in, to gain a little extra height.  It seems to work well here, but obviously we don't get such extreme gales over here that you in Barra frequently get! Grin

SunnySymington:  From reading info on other forums the VantageVue has some very definite disadvantages which I would say completely rule out such a purchase for most keen amateurs....the primary one being that all the instrument package comes as a single installation and cannot be separated....ie The recommended setup positions for the rain guage, measurement of air temp and anemometer CANNOT possibly be met unless you take a hacksaw to it (see: http://www.campbellsci.com/documents/technical-papers/siting.pdf ).  Apparently it is also not possible to add additional sensors (temp, UV etc) to the setup .... Thus, I would say, go for the VP2 (and a serial device at that...NOT usb or IP either)...

Regards,

Baggins
SunnySymington
Nimbostratus

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »

Yes Munro, after further research, I'm inclined to agree with you: the VP2 is a better piece of kit for my needs.  I also read quite a lot about USB problems with VP2's, so I think the serial connection would be better.

I've just replaced the USB attached web cam with a externally mounted all-weather IP Camera.  It works a treat and later this year I'll be playing with streaming video rather than just time-lapse.  Having gone to that effort, I might as well go the whole 9 yards and invest in the VP2 as my data are becoming increasingly unreliable and I'm having to babysit the WS2300 much more than I would like.

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 02:15:48 PM »

Thanks munrobaggins for the reply. Just yesterday I got round to buying the Vantage Pro 2. It should arrive next week sometime. I live in a semi detached house so my chimmney is connected to the neighbours in the middle which makes it harder to get to. However I have been talking to the local life guards and they said that they would get me a special pole that you can adust the height with so you can drop it down for maintainence and put it back up to roof height without any ladders. They like using my current weather station data so there happy to help me with the new one coming.

Now that I have the aneometer (wind thing) sorted out I am wondering whether to put the rainguage temperature sensor down at the bottom of the garden where my old rain guage is. I'm just wondering if it should go down there since its cabled. It says you have to put it in a sunny place and furthest away from the house. At the bottom of my garden it gets the most sunlight and its a good distance away from the house.

My plan is to set up the weather station and have the wind thing connected to it and run a cable over ground for a few days to test it. Then I will move the wind thing to the roof then later pin down all the cables once everything is tested and ok. No point putting wires everywhere under the ground and dig it up again a few days later to move it again is something goes wrong.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »

I think the sunny reference is for the wireless VP2 Sean. That has a solar panel that powers the ISS during the day and needs to be pointing South and in a sunny location. As yours will be the cabled version then don't think this applies, although the more open the area the better for the readings.  Wink

Although you get a good length of cable with the anemometer, I still needed an extension to take mind to the ISS in my croft. So that's one thing that you'll need to check when it all arrives. 

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 03:56:56 PM »

I think your right about that the wireless one may only need to be in direct sunlight to charge the batteries. I'm thinking of putting the aneometer up and with the rest of the remaining cable to see how far down it can go my garden isn't massive its small in size so it should be ok.

My current weather station as you may have noticed is sending dodgy readings every now and then. I have lost count over the last 2 years getting new parts for it so I just got the Vantage Pro 2 as I've heard there great quality.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 07:53:33 PM »

Yep, That's what I have now, only I went for the wireless version and have added the Daytime FARS + solar & UV sensors.  Grin
Which version of WeatherLink have you ordered, USB or Serial?

They are quite easy to setup but make sure you have a good read through the manuals first.  Wink

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 12:41:54 AM »

I got the USB weather link. I plan to add the extra parts you can get for it this summer if you can do that on the cabled version. Do you have the same station as me?
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 08:55:46 AM »

You can add the solar & UV sensors to them, they are the same for both wired & wireless.
I got both of mine from the U.S. as it's much cheaper.  Wink

With the USB WeatherLink, make sure that you set it to "Serial" and not USB when you set it up otherwise it will go to USBexpress and won't work with Weather Display!! If you find that the PC locks up then this is common with the USB version, I cured it by changing the USB cable for a thicker one and added a ferrite choke to each end of the cable. 

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 05:07:10 PM »

Thanks for the advice Smiley

Will let you know when it arrives and set it up.
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 05:53:23 PM »

My weather station arrived today and I have set it up took me a few hours.

Theres only 1 problem though with connecting it to the PC. I have it connected to Weather Link software and it works fine on the PC updating every 2 seconds. But I want to get it onto Weather Display now how do I do that? I see you mentioned set it to Serial how do I do that?
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 06:58:15 PM »

You should have set it to Serial Port when you were setting up the WeatherLink software. If you told WeatherLink that you're using a USB connection then it will now be setup to use USBexpress and it won't work with WD.
If you've told WeatherLink that you're using a Serial connection then you should have a COM port number from WeatherLink and this goes into WD under Control Panel > COM Port > Comport Number.
Then you need to go to Control Panel > Station Type & Settings > ELV/LaCrosse settings window and click the radio button marked "None Selected" at the bottom of the page. Now click on the "Davis" window and click on the radio buttons that match your new setup. 

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 07:28:38 PM »

Thanks Budgie got it working now Smiley

Had to change the settings from the old station to the new one.

Here are some pictures of it I know the anemometer isn't high up its going to get moved onto my roof soon. All the data is being sent to my website now and this one too.

Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 07:59:52 PM »

Looking good Sean.  Grin

Are you keeping the baro in inches?  Cheesy

For the rain gauge, the grill that they supply for the bottom of it will fly out with the first good wind so I wouldn't bother with it.
You may also find that the birds use it as a toilet and that blocks it. I've attached my solution to this problem, using zip ties.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:09:55 PM by Budgie » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: