Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 19, 2018, 01:52:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has 57 member stations!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Storm  (Read 6295 times)
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« on: February 25, 2010, 09:43:17 AM »

OK Peeps, I started this thread for discussions about the winter storm that's started today.

Over here we're not expecting much in the way of snow but this morning has seen heavy snow/sleet showers (nothing laying) and gusts up to 58 mph.
It all kicked off at around 4am with heavy hail showers, although the wind had been increasing through the evening.

Good luck in the Highlands!

One thing to add, Skywarn have a Severe Weather Warning activated for Northern Scotland and are looking for reports from any registered Spotters. Feel free to join if you would like to contribute.  Wink

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »

Over here we're not expecting much in the way of snow but this morning has seen heavy snow/sleet showers (nothing laying) and gusts up to 58 mph.
It all kicked off at around 4am with heavy hail showers, although the wind had been increasing through the evening.
Highest gust recorded here so far was 53mph from the NE at 11:53 (though for some reason WD, which drives the website, missed that and is reporting just over 50mph ~10 minutes later).

There has been a bit of snow in the air and a little on the ground in Elgol since first light. Around mid afternoon the snow started to stick a bit more, but it's very slushy wet stuff and there is still only a couple of cm on the ground.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:04:18 PM by skyewright » Logged

Regards
David
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:40:35 PM »

Its been snowing here all day but it didn't lay on the ground but it did over the hills. Highest gust recorded here 58mph.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:14:14 PM »

I've ended up with 62 mph as the highest gust and that was at 11:11 this morning.
Just rain here now but the wind is still at 40 mph, gusting 50 mph, and looks to be that way until later tomorrow morning.

munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 11:26:15 AM »

You guys must have got the wind element of the "storm"....Here in Elgin it was just 30 mph winds, but...and a big BUT....there was something attached going by the name of SNOW which fell up country around here....as soon as the altitude was/is above about 300 ft masses of the stuff has fallen.....nothing much in Elgin itself, as it was mainly sleet/rain, but a little snow did fall....

Regards,

Baggins
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 02:18:30 PM »

as soon as the altitude was/is above about 300 ft masses of the stuff has fallen
What little we had is mostly gone now at this level (coincidentally ~300 ft). Still breezy. 683 mile wind run for the 25th, and already 430 miles today at 14:00.

A very noticeable aspect of yesterday's weather was how flat the temp graph was. Almost a straight line, staying within a 1.5 degree C band midnight to midnight (on Tuesday with clear sky pretty much the whole day long the equivalent range was ~ 9C!).

Regards
David
browgars

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 12:55:08 AM »

I just got home tonight after 3 nights away & we have about 22" of new snow over last 36 hours in Midmar, Aberdeenshire (elev 600ft) & much more where it has drifted. We already had about 6-12" left from last snow so its now over 30" deep. I've lived here for 25 years and have only once seen it like this. I'll take some photos in daylight on Saturday. My heated raingauge recorded 2.29" over this period so multiplying by 10x gives about 23 inches in 36 hours. Its pretty heavy stuff though as temperature has been hovering around 0 to 1 deg C. Very different to the frosty weather at Christmas. Mercifully the power stayed on - well done the Hydro Board.
I didn't bother using my skis to get up my lane and the last 100m took me about 20minutes wading through snow over 30" deep - hard work! I'll put my skis on tomorrow.
I like this "interesting" weather  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: