Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 22, 2018, 10:34:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless weather stations  (Read 3373 times)
davefree1

« on: March 14, 2010, 10:52:33 PM »

Hi everyone at SWN

I am a complete beginner to weather watching but have been bitten by the bug and now find myself with many questions on the subject. Can you tell me if there is a problem with buying weather stations from abroad eg America, when it comes to the frequency of the wireless transmission. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 12:30:12 AM »

Hi Dave & welcome to the forum.

If you're looking at the likes of the Davis VP2 then the wireless ones sold in the U.S are illegal to use in the UK & EU. This is because the frequencies that they use is in the part of the radio spectrum used by mobile phones in the UK. So apart from the potential interference problems, you need a special licence from Ofcom to be able to transmit on those frequencies (big bucks!!).
If you get caught then it's a criminal record, up to 1000 fine and confiscation of ALL the radio equipment!

On the other hand; you can use equipment that operates on the 433 MHz band like LaCrosse and the cabled version of the VP2 is also OK to import.
I got my Davis VP2 from the UK and then imported the solar & UV sensors and the daytime FARS from the U.S as it's far cheaper and they are all OK to import as there's no radio to worry about.
One other thing to think about when importing is that, for Davis, there is no UK warrenty support for imported equipment. So if anything goes wrong then you have to send it back to the States to have it fixed.  Wink

Hope that helps,

Martin. 

davefree1

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:53:53 PM »

Martin

Thanks for the advice , I thought I had read something about this problem but could not remember the details. Problem now cleared up. Also good idea about buying the accessories only from abroad I didn't think of that solution thanks again.

David
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: