Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 21, 2018, 12:19:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has 57 member stations!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New member in Lancashire  (Read 5094 times)
roychetham

« on: August 02, 2010, 01:31:40 PM »

Yes, please note Lancashire not Lanarkshire!
I am in Huncoat between Accrington and Burnley and have recorded the weather in this area for 35 years.
My interest in Scotland is mainly for climate comparison especially rainfall.
I am currently up-dating my 2000 Paper on British High Rainfall locations and will post a copy when finished because it includes Scotland. Any member who has information on high rainfall in Scotland would be interesting to communicate with? My understanding is that the wettest parts are the western highlands around Loch Lomond, Glenshiel, Kintail, Applecross and Skye?
Roy
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 03:41:27 PM »

Hi Roy,

Welcome to the forum.

Quite a few of the sites on the network have there archived data listed somewhere so a look at the sites of interest may give you some data.

On my own weather site you can find the daily rainfall amounts at this page, if it's of any use: http://www.hebwx.co.uk/wxraindetail.php

Martin.

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:24:20 AM »

My understanding is that the wettest parts are the western highlands around Loch Lomond, Glenshiel, Kintail, Applecross and Skye?
Of the sites on the SCWN map I think that Carbost (Skye) probably has the highest rainfall? Somedays my station in Elgol (also Skye) records more than they do, but more often it is the other way around. As Martin mentions, you can find more detail by going to the individual websites by clicking on the map, e.g. the "Stats by Month" page on my site has records going back to January 2008.

Regards
David
roychetham

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:07:48 AM »

I am very grateful to Martin and David for their comments. The Elgol and Lewis websites proved interesting and useful. However, I found the website for Carbost more difficult to understand. Unfortunately, if my impression is correct, none of the SCWN weather stations are located in highland or mountainous regions so the picture of Scottish rainfall may be incomplete? Moreover, none of the websites provide historic annual totals or averages of rainfall. Just daily, monthly amounts and this year's total to date.
Since posting my introduction I have had a full and comprehensive response from the Met Office which has enabled me to complete the revision of my paper on rainfall. It is now called "The Wettest Places in Britain." To see it please look at my website www.roychetham.co.uk. If anyone can suggest additional or alternative data or wet locations that may affect my conclusions then I would be pleased to hear from them.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 12:32:09 PM »

My annual totals and an overall average can be found here: http://www.hebwx.co.uk/wxrainsummary.php  Wink

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 01:08:26 PM »

none of the SCWN weather stations are located in highland or mountainous regions so the picture of Scottish rainfall may be incomplete?
These are all "Personal Weather Stations", and are almost invariable located where we live rather than up on a slope somewhere.

It's also a matter of definition; even though my station is only at 100m ASL, I can think of plenty of people who would think that it is in a highland or mountainous region nonetheless. Grin  Cheesy

Moreover, none of the websites provide historic annual totals or averages of rainfall. Just daily, monthly amounts and this year's total to date.
Perhaps you missed the "Stats by Month" page on my site (i.e. Elgol)? That page has access to records going back to January 2008. Here is a direct link:
http://www.isleofskyeweather.org.uk/24elgol/wxhistory.php

Regards
David
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: