Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 23, 2018, 04:21:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has 57 member stations!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Weather Station Had A Problem  (Read 6036 times)
weathermaster
Cirrus

« on: July 24, 2010, 04:35:10 PM »

Today I returned from my 2 week holiday away when it came to switching on the weather station (I switch everything off in the house when I go away) it wasn't recieving data from the station. I went out to look at it everything seems fine as its only about 2 months old then after about 1 hour it just randomly started getting data again. Why did it take so long? I only go away once a year so it will be on until next summer now.

Its a Davis Vantage Pro 2.

Thanks.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 08:44:55 PM »

No idea why it took so long, could have been the battery in the ISS, was it day or night when you switched it back on?

If you were only away for 2 weeks, why not just leave the VP2 console running on batteries?
Then you can still download the missing data when you get back.  Wink

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 08:58:46 PM »

I don't use batteries just have it plugged into the wall. But now when I think about it I will get batteries for the winter incase there are any power cuts. It was day time when I tried to put it on.
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »

Last night we had a powercut and the station is still saying 'recieving from' I left it on all night but still nothing. I have checked all wires and connections everything is fine no water has got in or rust everything looks good as new. So I don't know why its not working  Huh
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »

Have you gone through the trouble shooting procedures in chapter 4 of the console manual and on page 9 of the ISS manual "Verifying Communication with the Console"?

I've always had batteries in the console as a backup for power cuts, so that I can maintain the data without gaps and maintain connection to the ISS. The time we tend to get power cuts is when the weather is at it's worst, just when you want to know what's happening.  Wink 

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 08:50:35 AM »

I've always had batteries in the console as a backup for power cuts, so that I can maintain the data without gaps and maintain connection to the ISS. The time we tend to get power cuts is when the weather is at it's worst, just when you want to know what's happening.  Wink 
The VP2 console must be very frugal in its use of power, it can run on battery alone for months and months, even connected to a computer and delivering data; mine has been running like that since I got it late last September.

Because I don't have my WMR928 and WMR200 consoles connected to a computer nowadays[1] I tried running them on batteries only[2]; they only managed a little over a month (both consoles use 4 x AA, whereas the VP2 uses 3 x C).

[1] Data is still collected from the sensors, but via an RFXCOM receiver.
[2] The WMR928 and WMR200 console will only deliver data to a computer if they are on mains power.

Regards
David
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 09:28:41 PM »

We had a power cut last night so the problems have returned. This morning it only shows data like indoor temp and indoor humidity and pressure. It won't show the wind and out door temps. I have reset everything checked all connections everything is fine the station shows a 'X' meaning its recieving the data but its not showing it on the console. I checked the outdoor sensor for the wee green light its flashing normally aswell. Any reason why its not showing on the console? And today I have ordered something that means when theres a power cut my computer and weather station won't turn off.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 11:27:43 PM »

It take it that you've ordered a UPS for it?  Grin
I would still put batteries in the console as it will stop all this happening in the future. I still have times when the power goes off and is off that long that the UPS runs out. Without the batteries in the console I would have the same problems as you and lose data. As it is, I just restart WD and the VP2 downloads all the missing data without a problem.

IIRC you have the cabled version of the VP2 don't you? I've been thinking that you had the wireless version.  Roll Eyes
That being the case then refer to the console & ISS manuals as they have instructions for troubleshooting these problems. There is something in the setting that tells you if it's talking to the ISS or not, don't rely on the flashing 'X'.  Wink

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 02:06:20 PM »

Yeah one of them.

I'm getting batteries for it aswell now. I followed the troubleshooting it still didin't work after that until one step near the end of the book said about the ISS. I turned the ISS off then back on and it works  Huh  Grin The ISS was on before but turning it off and on seems to work.
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 12:58:40 PM »

I turned the ISS off then back on and it works  Huh  Grin The ISS was on before but turning it off and on seems to work.
Think of it as "rebooting the computer".  Grin

Maybe some glitch caused by the power failure or an associated surge or spike caused the ISS to lock up, then doing a "power cycle" (i.e. off, pause, on) allowed the ISS to reset and start up cleanly?

Regards
David
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 12:42:48 AM »

Yeah makes sense now  Grin

Last week before the UPS came we had another power cut but this time the weather station found it ok.

The UPS is now connected to my weather station, computer and web cam it can last about 20 minutes but most of these power cuts are just like 5 seconds, on and off again which isn't good for them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: