Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 22, 2018, 08:34:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has 57 member stations!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual VP  (Read 6435 times)
Ballogieweather
Nimbostratus

« on: October 02, 2010, 09:45:58 AM »

Hi all, nice day here,

I've been having a few problems this year, mainly with the PC that I use for the weather station. Now it is up and running again I have updated Weatherlink to 5.9.2 and the Firmware on the Davis VP2 to 1.9.

What I would like to do is, have a play around with other software to see what would suit me better than the clunky Weatherlink I am using at the moment; so I have installed Virtual VP as don't want to stop Weatherlink while I investigate others. Unfortunately I can't get it to work, everywhere I look seems to imply that it is a really simple program so I think I am probably doing something quite straight forward wrong.

Does anyone have any experience with this software, who may be able to point me in the right direction, or can anyone suggest something else I can use instead.

Thanks

Phillip
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 04:28:04 PM »

I had a play with VVP about a year ago but gave up as it would update Weatherlink but not Weather Display, or it crashed Weather Display, I forget which.
Most people seem to have had good results from using it and I remember that it was quite easy to set up, but I can't help further than that I'm afraid.  Embarrassed

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:01:37 AM »

I haven't used it for around a year[1] but when I did I recall it being pretty straight forward.

The best place to ask for help would probably be the Weather-Watch forum as there is a section there specifically for questions about VVP and other software from Tinplate Software.

Weather-Watch.com > Weather Equipment/Software > Tinplate Software

[1] VVP is Windows software but my VP2 is no longer connected to a Windows based computer (it now connects straight to a Linux based computer running Meteohub).

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »

Hi,

I have been using VVP for about 4 years and it has been at the heart of my setup.  I have had it running with WD, WL and VirtualWeatherStation (VWS) continually and sometimes with Cumulus/VPLive too.  However, my weather PC OS is WinXP SP3 and I have noted on the WD forum that the Win7 OS has been very problematic to some users with VVP.  What OS are you using?

Regards,

Baggins
Ballogieweather
Nimbostratus

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 09:28:02 AM »

Thanks for the replies,

Interesting to hear that it is at the heart of your setup Baggins, I am using XP and I think its up to sp3 now as well. I have since tried again (this week) still with no luck. I think I have read somewhere that it doesn't like WL5.9.2 but I can't be sure if that is what is causing the problem.
I have been playing around with WD a bit this week and although it isn't the easiest to get to grips with it seems to be pretty comprehensive. Would be great to get that working alongside WL.

All help is much appreciated

Phillip.
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 03:02:10 PM »

Hi,

I am presuming that you have only tried Virt VP with WL so far....I am running WL 5.7.1 but I doubt if the version number you are running is the real problem (but you never know)...Getting and understanding the comm pairs setup done correctly after having installed the N8VBvCom driver is where problems usually lie ...I presume you have downloaded the N8V' driver exe from the downloads page of http://www.softwx.com/downloads.html (2nd from bottom) and installed it.

I have attached a piccie of the comms setup that I have on my WxPC and within the "Name" entry added additional info, to give the clues, about comm ports being used...ie for the top entry ---"Virtual Console 1, WL57 set on Com 6" is paired to Comm 16....

So.....overalll, what you have is VirtVP connected to Comm 1 in my case(so that it can download the data through the PC from the Davis Datalogger)....and then the Virtual Consoles connected to their respective comms pairs. ie other progs.

As VP live is a Freeware prog, I would download it from softwx to give you an additiional prog to work with....or maybe the initial trial version of Cumulus, WD etc..

Hope this helps Wink
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 01:24:33 PM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
Ballogieweather
Nimbostratus

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 04:15:24 PM »

Just received this reply from Steve at SoftWx.
--------------
'Usually, when people switch from just running WeatherLink to trying VirtualVP, and they
also have a USB data logger, the problem turns out to be something called USB Express
mode. In WeatherLink there are two ways to configure it to talk to the data logger. One
is the Serial option, which uses the Davis USB to Serial driver to simulate a serial COM
port for the USB connection. The other way is to select the USB option in the
communications configuration screen. If you pick that, WeatherLink puts the data logger
into USB Express mode, which basically disables the ability to connect to the data logger
using the USB to Serial driver. This change is permanent, unless you run a little utility
program available from Davis to take the data logger out of USB Express mode.

Before trying VirtualVP, ensure you can connect the WeatherLink software to the data
logger using the Serial option (which uses the Davis USB to Serial driver). When you can
do that, then you can try VirtualVP, using the same vritual serial port that WeatherLink
was able to use.

If this is not the problem in your case, let me know.'
---------------------

So I am now hunting for that 'little utility' from Davis, in order to give it a go...

Will keep all posted,

Phillip
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 06:19:58 PM »

So I am now hunting for that 'little utility' from Davis, in order to give it a go...

Hi,

If you haven't already found it...then look here at this FAQ on the WD Forum where there is a link to the utility.. ie: This Davis page

Regards,

Baggins
Ballogieweather
Nimbostratus

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 06:43:34 PM »

Thank you Baggins, yes I found it, installed it and it now works.

I now have WL working through VVP, at last and its  looking good (stable).

Thanks for all the help, now all I need to do is get WD running at the same time and I can really put it to the test, quite like the look of  that VP Live as well, just to give it a test as WD Live looks the way to go.

Still, best thing is; I can now experiment.

munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 09:54:55 PM »

Still, best thing is; I can now experiment.
Excellent ....enjoy Grin

Regards,

Baggins
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: