Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 24, 2018, 11:53:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coastguards Need Your Help!  (Read 14619 times)
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »

I see there was an item on the Channel 4 news at 6.30 pm tonight, refering to the Liverpool station being cut, they were out in a rib rescuing a lady off a sand bank and warning folk of incoming fog.
sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 12:55:24 PM »

With 100 Pilot Whales close to the coast of South Uist and the Coastguard and other agencies monitoring the situation, if cuts were made to the Coastguard would they have to go home at 5pm  despite the long daylight hours at this time of year with perhaps whales moving closer to the beach ?.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 02:06:32 PM »

We don't know Sandy.
The details in the consultation didn't say what "daylight hours" meant. Our MP pointed out to MCA management back in January that "daylight hour" in Stornoway would mean we were open for 5-6 hours in the winter and 24 hours in the summer.

sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »

Perhaps someone would like to send an email as the item is bound to be on the news tonight  Smiley, I'm sure someone of importance would like to ask a question !
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »

Probably a bit late to comment, but I noticed that the weather was a bit breezy for May for the MPs' visit to Stornoway last week for local consultations.  Wink

I imagine they flew in? If, perhaps a trip on the ferry might have been more appropriate?

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 09:25:44 AM »

I think the flight was enough, they were dodging CB's all the way up from Glasgow.
Anyway, these MP's are on our side.
We had a good meeting in the CG station first thing (Muggins here had to do the presentation about the area we cover, what we do and what we do it with) and then the two "Union Reps" were able to put our points across during the formal evidence session later in the morning.

All in all it was a good day for our campaign and we were lucky as they have only visited Stornoway & Falmouth stations to hear evidence with a visit to speak to the staff at Greenock the night before they came here.  Wink

sandy
Nimbostratus

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 05:05:16 PM »

http://www.queensferrygazette.co.uk/news/scottish-headlines/coastguard_closures_to_go_ahead_1_1979041

coastguard stations to close.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 07:50:17 PM »

Yep, I watched it being announced in the House of Commons.
That's the stations themselves sorted out, now the Coastguards have to apply for their own jobs and that's in competition with those from stations that are closing.
Nice to have the pressure taken off and know what your future is.  Roll Eyes

MM0ZIF

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 08:57:30 AM »

OT reply.

So what are your opinions on the volunteer service Coastwatch?

I've yet to be convinced. As spotters they are fine but I've never seen them in  live situation?

Radio Amateurs do it with Frequency
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 12:46:28 AM »

I can't comment on Coastwatch as we don't have any in our area, so I've never worked with them.  Grin

MM0ZIF

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 02:45:38 PM »

As radio Amateurs we put a special event station on for the Irvine coast watch, they all seamed rather nice, but my major concern was at the time most of these guys where not trained in anything! now they are getting training but I am not sure if they pay for it themselves or not.

Personally I have done a lot of disaster management and would love to get more involved with flood management and stuff like that, as well as SkyWarn (which I am already a spotter for)

Radio Amateurs do it with Frequency
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: