Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 24, 2018, 07:17:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has 57 member stations!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Start  (Read 4479 times)
orrokmas

« on: January 06, 2011, 09:24:17 PM »

Hi There,

Just started properly recording weather, although been interested for a few years. In the process of setting up a Davis Vantage in Aberdeen City. Have a good site for most instruments but am not happy with anemometer siting at present as it is partially sheltered by a local tree. Considering moving it to the chimney which will give a clearer all around  view. (would have to buy another transmitter to do this though). So far the numbers I'm recording are not too different from other local observation sites which is a relief. Still to look at websites etc but that is another project,

Mike Cool
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 01:11:21 AM »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.
I use an extension lead for my anemometer to the ISS instead of another transmitter.
I trenched the cable into the ground across my field to the ISS. They come in 2.4m, 12m & 30m lengths with waterproof couplers.
Here's a link if it's an option: Skyview

Martin.

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 03:29:11 PM »

Welcome to the Forum, Mike.

I use an extension lead for my anemometer to the ISS instead of another transmitter.
I trenched the cable into the ground across my field to the ISS. They come in 2.4m, 12m & 30m lengths with waterproof couplers.
I did something similar, though as it's just an area of rough grass and there was no problem with livestock or any such instead of trenching I just threaded[1] the extension down a length of hosepipe to give it a bit of protection; a year or so later it has as good a buried itself for most of the length!  Wink

[1] Threading was easy enough because, since I made up my own cable using some spare CAT5e (only using 4 of the cores) and some RJ12 connectors, I didn't need to pass the connector down the pipe, just the cable.

Regards
David
orrokmas

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 04:48:44 PM »

David, Martin,

Thanks for that thought.

I have a few more practical questions bubling away which I'll post as the project moves forward,

Regards,

Mike
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:32:50 PM »

No problem Mike,

We're happy to help if we can.  Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: