Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 24, 2018, 06:03:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: First Weather Warning of 2011 issued!  (Read 18189 times)
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 12:03:21 PM »

Got a top gust of 84mph on my weather station that's its first proper storm and done really well with it. My WXSIM was saying gusts of 75mph so not to far out compared to other forecasts saying just 70mph gusts. We also had a bit of thunder as well.
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 12:08:15 PM »

Before I larfs too much, I had better check mine.... Grin Roll Eyes  Shocked  I suppose that your mast started to go into sinusoidal wave action and eventually the rotor head vibrated itself into failure....or something like that  Roll Eyes
Yes, probably something like that. The fibreglass mast certainly "snakes" at times.

John has just emailed to say he is sending up a new set of cups. I hope that with the help of my long gin pole and boat winch, lowering and raising the pole should not be too exciting. Of course, if I'd had time to lower the mast last summer as I'd hoped to I'd probably have a fully operational Vortex up there even now instead of one with a dodgy bearing...

Having quickly reviewed the behaviour of the 3(!) anemometers I've decided to stick with the lame VP2 as "prime" for the moment at least. With only 2 cups it's not keen to start turning, but once it is going it is as representative as any of the others.

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 12:27:55 PM »

Got a top gust of 84mph on my weather station that's its first proper storm and done really well with it. My WXSIM was saying gusts of 75mph so not to far out compared to other forecasts saying just 70mph gusts. We also had a bit of thunder as well.
Oooher, that is some gust....Your wxsim fcst wasn't that far out either. Smiley Smiley...

For most of yesterday, my Lightning Detector was active and showing a considerable number of stikes in your area....There were so many strikes being detected that I looked at Budgies website to correlate and confirm the info....His was detecting the activity also.....

Which reminds me....if you see this Budgie, how are you managing to get the "Nexstorm Full Area Map" of detection uploaded to your site. Mine only does the local area map, which I find frustrating.....clues please?

Regards,

Baggins
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 12:43:56 PM »

John has just emailed to say he is sending up a new set of cups. I hope that with the help of my long gin pole and boat winch, lowering and raising the pole should not be too exciting. Of course, if I'd had time to lower the mast last summer as I'd hoped to I'd probably have a fully operational Vortex up there even now instead of one with a dodgy bearing...

So there are now 2 x anemometers to sort David....at least we are the right side of the winter solstice and heading towards lighter days and warmer weather....and not anywhere midgie season either (yet)

I have recently, managed to get a pre 2006 Temp/Hum sensor from John D and also at the same time took the opportunity to get a couple of "supercaps" as spares for the MB's....All the failures that I have ever had previously, have been over week-ends, bank holidays etc.. It always builds in those extra days of data loss, before it can all be sorted.

Apologies to all for going way "Off Topic"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:16:05 PM by munrobaggins » Logged

Regards,

Baggins
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 02:05:39 PM »

So there are now 2 x anemometers to sort David....
Yes, looking on the bright side I ought to be able to do both jobs at once.  Smiley

...at least we are the right side of the winter solstice and heading towards lighter days and warmer weather....and not anywhere midgie season either (yet)
I certainly hope the repair gets done before then...
...but I'd better not speak too soon, or too loud!

And on reflection, given last December's temperatures I'm not too annoyed that I opted to spend all the spare time last summer on fitting insulation around the house rather than sparing some for servicing the Vortex. I'll stop there before I go too far Off Topic myself.  Wink

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 03:40:20 PM »

Which reminds me....if you see this Budgie, how are you managing to get the "Nexstorm Full Area Map" of detection uploaded to your site. Mine only does the local area map, which I find frustrating.....clues please?
I'm using NSlog & NSDisplay for my Nexstorm image. I can only get the regional image for WASP II (which is normal Wink ).
I keep the Nexstorm map at 750 miles, rather than auto ranging, and NSDisplay uses the map that Nexstorm uploads. NSLog does the rest.
It's Hennka who does NSDisplay and Jim Mcmurray for NSLog.

I take it that's what you mean?

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 05:06:01 PM »

Thought I would share this with you. I made a map showing the top gusts from Met Office weather stations. The 115mph is from the Cairngorm mountain.

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 05:23:04 PM »

Thought I would share this with you. I made a map showing the top gusts from Met Office weather stations. The 115mph is from the Cairngorm mountain.
Thanks Sean.

I'm not surprised that Lusa (Skye) is low as the station is poorly positioned for Westerlies. The mature conifer plantation that used to be within ~100m of the station on that side has been felled in recent years, but even so it is still a bit sheltered by the rising ground. Mind you it must be quite a problem trying to find a site on Skye that is reasonably flat for a good distance all round. Most of the sites I can think of that are properly open to Westerlies have worse obstacles on the other side so Lusa may well be as close as you'll get! LOL

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 06:33:20 PM »

I'm using NSlog & NSDisplay for my Nexstorm image. I can only get the regional image for WASP II (which is normal Wink ).
I keep the Nexstorm map at 750 miles, rather than auto ranging, and NSDisplay uses the map that Nexstorm uploads. NSLog does the rest.
It's Hennka who does NSDisplay and Jim Mcmurray for NSLog.

I take it that's what you mean?
Exactly what I mean....I have never spotted those before...I will have to investigate further...mmm

Regards,

Baggins
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 06:36:03 PM »

The map certainly shows how the Outer Isles took the brunt of the storm....a good job on the map Sean....very interesting....thanks

Regards,

Baggins
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 12:39:09 PM »

Thanks.

Made one for England and Wales for Fridays top gusts.
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »

It sure was windy ....The 90 mph one in Wales was on a mountain top I believe...but even so, there were some quite high values elsewhere.

Regards,

Baggins
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 04:11:08 PM »

Yeah the 90mph was on the mountain.
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 06:18:04 PM »

I certainly hope the repair gets done before then...
The mast is now down.

The replacement cups arrived in the post, but as our post doesn't arrive till late afternoon it would have been too much of a rush job to get the mast back up today.

I notice that the replacement is different to the original. On the original the cup arms are separate moldings that fit into slots on the hub with no obvious means of fixing, so maybe a dab of glue or some such was involved?  I can see a crack in the back of the slot of the arm that is missing. The replacement hub and cups are a one piece molding.

I received an email from another Davis owner who lives between here and Broadford. His anemometer lost 2 cups at just about the same time mine did! I know that his was also the "arm in a slot" design as he mentioned in the email that when things calmed down he'd found the cups (many yards away) and tried unsuccessfully to refit them. I thinks he's going to get a set of "small cups" as replacements (apparently the small cups are poorer at slow speeds but are supposed to be okay for speeds up to 150mph!).

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 06:26:46 PM »

The mast is now down.

The replacement cups arrived in the post, but as our post doesn't arrive till late afternoon it would have been too much of a rush job to get the mast back up today.

I notice that the replacement is different to the original. On the original the cup arms are separate moldings that fit into slots on the hub with no obvious means of fixing, so maybe a dab of glue or some such was involved?  I can see a crack in the back of the slot of the arm that is missing. The replacement hub and cups are a one piece molding.

I received an email from another Davis owner who lives between here and Broadford. His anemometer lost 2 cups at just about the same time mine did! I know that his was also the "arm in a slot" design as he mentioned in the email that when things calmed down he'd found the cups (many yards away) and tried unsuccessfully to refit them. I thinks he's going to get a set of "small cups" as replacements (apparently the small cups are poorer at slow speeds but are supposed to be okay for speeds up to 150mph!).
I'm impressed.....I had anticipated a long period of just watching the 2 cup device spinning away....ho ho. 

Is this going to a double repair? ie inclusion of the Vortex hub/bearing as well.

I will await signs of a repair having taken place.....mmmm

Best of luck. Grin

Regards,

Baggins
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: