Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 20, 2018, 11:15:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Weather Warning of 2011 issued!  (Read 18135 times)
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 09:52:44 PM »

I'm impressed.....I had anticipated a long period of just watching the 2 cup device spinning away....ho ho.
Me too, but the weather was okay, I didn't have anything pressing to do, and at certain speeds the 2 cup rotor caused an alarming amount of wobble in the anemometer arm! I didn't at that stage know the replacement would be here today, but even so it seemed like a good idea to take the opportunity to at least get the mast down. If the Vortex had been working properly it would have been a harder choice to make, but I suspect the wobble might have been enough of a factor to make lowering the sensible choice anyway?

Is this going to a double repair? ie inclusion of the Vortex hub/bearing as well.
That's the idea.
Rather than play with circlips and other small components 5' over grass I aim to swap the entire unit for a spare have ready. I've already removed the old unit. I've left the bracket in place and just detached the plastic bit. I've not taken it to pieces but when I took the mounting screw out it was obvious that there was water inside (not unexpected after seeing the pic's from when you dismantled yours).

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 10:06:20 AM »

......I aim to swap the entire unit for a spare have ready. I've already removed the old unit. I've left the bracket in place and just detached the plastic bit. I've not taken it to pieces but when I took the mounting screw out it was obvious that there was water inside (not unexpected after seeing the pic's from when you dismantled yours).
Did you make any sort of protective baffle to try and prevent water ingress....ie similar to mine?  It has been interesting to note that my own modified vortex with the "tempory repair" (shaft base and bearing base plus baffle) has been running in situ for about 3 years now.....I put plenty of thin Teflon based cycle oil in it too....I still have my properly repaired/modded S/H system with new shaft etc ready for eventual positioning if needed (fingers crossed)

Regards,

Baggins
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 12:07:41 PM »

Did you make any sort of protective baffle to try and prevent water ingress....ie similar to mine?
No. Lorenzo was quite sure he had the problem solved with the latest design of bearing so I'll let this be a test case!

Both replacements are now on the mast, but the mast is still down. It's now a matter of awaiting a suitable opportunity to raise it. The wind speed is just about okay at the moment but it's raining rather too much to tempt me out again; it was only intermittent drizzle while fitting the new bits and threading the replacement Vortex's cable.

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 02:43:44 PM »

No. Lorenzo was quite sure he had the problem solved with the latest design of bearing so I'll let this be a test case!

Both replacements are now on the mast, but the mast is still down. It's now a matter of awaiting a suitable opportunity to raise it. The wind speed is just about okay at the moment but it's raining rather too much to tempt me out again; it was only intermittent drizzle while fitting the new bits and threading the replacement Vortex's cable.
I guess it will be "all hands on deck" at the mo, as it has apparently stopped raining over there...for 30 seconds anyway!!!

Regards,

Baggins
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 06:30:27 PM »

I guess it will be "all hands on deck" at the mo, as it has apparently stopped raining over there...for 30 seconds anyway!!!
Yes. After lunch it looked good enough to get started, and as the afternoon wore on it got better. I could not have wished for finer weather.  Smiley
The VP2 anemometer has been talking to the console since around 1600, and was reconnected to WD (and thus the website) at 1720.
To complete the Vortex job I need to re-patch some 1-wire connections in the control box, something I decided to leave for another occasion.
The biggest part of the job was resetting all the guys. With guys at 5 heights and with anchors out as far as ~12m from the base for the top set I must have walked quite a distance this afternoon. The guys needed completely resetting as I'd needed to adjust the height. I'd suspected for some time that some of the telescopic sections had slipped a bit over time and that proved to be the case. This time as well as tightening the collars I've added jubilee clips immediately above the joins to help prevent slippage (i.e. for the section to slip it need to slip through the clip as well as into the section below) and on the 2 joints where the slipage occurred (and thus the most suspect) I've put a "tell tale" mark 5cm above the join. I should be able to see if there is slippage again by observing the "tell tale" from the ground. 

Regards
David
munrobaggins
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »

Excellent news Smiley

I had guessed that all was working now....It sounds as though you have done a real fine job on the mast, particularly with the additional modifications.  Some good thinking there. Wink

Regards,

Baggins
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: