Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 19, 2018, 12:04:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new weather station  (Read 5377 times)
EESC

« on: March 11, 2011, 03:23:48 AM »

hi all,

first post.

in process of installing a Davis Vue and IP data logger at sailing club house Elie...can I give you the data to your network?  The plan is not to use a computer.

also looking for synoptic charts for the weather station.

the website will be  www.elieweather.org.uk

regards

Scott

Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:15:09 AM »

Hi Scot,
Welcome to the forum and the Scottish Weather Network.

I'm not sure we can use the data from the IP data logger, I assume that it's going to the Davis site first and then to yours?
The network uses small text files that are produced by software like Weatherlink, Weather Display, Cumulus etc. These are normally uploaded to your own website and then our server gets the data from these once every 5 minutes.
I think the problem with the IP data logger is that it sends the data to Davis and we can't access it from them. I will do some investigation though.  Wink

As for synoptic charts, difficult one this as the Met Office ones are Crown Copyright , so you can't use those. For my own site I use some software called Digital Atmosphere which downloads the data and then builds the charts for me. I then have these uploaded to my site.
Chris from Carse Weather also uses this software and produces the charts for SCWN.

Martin.

EESC

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »

yes - this is the case it goes to www.weatherlink.com  but has option to send information to wu and other non disclosed sites, till I get the kit!

I need a rebust solution some, since I live 90 miles from station, might be able to pull my data to a computer here, using some firewall trickery, am IT person!

thanks I see charts being pulled from wetter3.de on sites, but want  to keep it legal.

regards

Scott

Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 05:40:04 AM »

I had a look on Weatherlink.com and it looks like the only way you can supply SCWN with your data is:
  • Using Weatherlink software on your own PC, download your data from Weatherlink.com.
  • Follow the instructions HERE for using our WL_stickertags.txt file to upload the data to your website.
  • Once it's on your website and being uploaded at least every 5 minutes then we can add your website & data to the network.

Weatherlink.com will only allow you to share your data with the sites they list, you can't even import it to your own server without it going through the Weatherlink software on a local PC. The IP dataloggers are good for remote locations, such as in your case, but a bit of a headache if you want to use your own data elsewhere.  Wink

EESC

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 01:06:40 PM »

Thanks,

I might end up installing some 3rd software on PC, but people have habbit of switching it off!   would historic info be any good?

Installing an IP External Camera too, to act as web cam.

regards

Scott

Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 08:44:59 PM »

Unfortunately not, we don't keep any archived data.
Once the data is 10 minutes old then the server ignores that station and it shows up as "Offline" on the map.
I think the best thing to do is get the station set up for your own needs, stay in touch on here as we can help out if you need anything.
Once you're up & running and still want to contribute then we can look at what's available.
There are a few members who switch their PC's off at night so that's not a problem. The web link remains on the map but it just shows as "Offline".  Wink

Martin.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: