Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 22, 2018, 12:20:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has 57 member stations!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 5157 times)
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« on: May 23, 2011, 05:48:56 PM »

I have run out of ideas now and am getting seriously frustrated as is the mannie who runs the keiss weather station for me.
so far we solved the problems of the flat lining by replacing the base unit and thermo hygro sensor, both of which had bombed on us (ws2350) and after a few days of running flawlessly, the base station is now no longer talking to the computer for no apparent reason.
we have tried changing com ports, restarting, he is now looking for the installation disk for the usb adaptor to try it that way, he is not the brightest of cookies and i can't get over there at the moment to try everything he has done as i am not convinced he has done it right, but why would it stop talking for no reason?
SunnySymington
Nimbostratus

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »

I used to have intermittent problems with my trusty old WS2310 not talking to the PC.  Through many hours of frustration I finally settled on noise on the power circuits.

Apparently, the WS2310 (and maybe the WS2350 too) do not use "proper" RS232 drivers and protocols.  They are prone to noise and in my case it was coming from the mains adapter on the base station.

Changing to run the base station on batteries fixed the problem and now I only get a communication error if I forget to change the batteries every couple of months.

Also on the 2310 (not sure about the 2350), the plastic housing on the anemometer degrades under UV lighting - not much use outdoors then!  There is a weak spot in the case that lets just enough sunlight energy though a degraded plastic wall to illuminate the opto sensors.  This only happens when the sun is at the right angle and strong enough (summer months between around 11am and 2pm).  The effect is to flat line the wind direction at a specific bearing (can't recall which direction off the top of my head) when the opto sensors saturate.  The solution to that one is to simply wrap the outer casing in self amalgamating tape to prevent any leakage of sunlight through the case!

HTH.

Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »

Thanks, he is running the base station on batteries, sorry for late reply we have had no power for a while! he has gone home now but he thinks that the actual wdisplay has stopped working  Roll Eyes and is going to reinstall that maybe tomorrow. hopefully we will get to the bottom of it as it has us both very frustrated  Cry
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:07:27 PM »

He shouldn't need to re-install WD, just download & update to the latest version.

Also, he has to re-install correctly, if he just un-installs WD then he will loose everything, that includes the registration code!!
If he does this then he will have to apply for a new one, and you need the original email that Brian sent.  Wink

I always used to run my WS2300's Serial-to-USB through a USB hub, rather than direct connection to the PC. That way there's no chance of the cable getting any interference for the PC.  Wink

Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 08:41:56 AM »

We've got the original code, i made him write everything down lol and it is a new install on this machine anyway, the other computer he was using wasn't man enough for the job lol  so all his previous data is still available, he will only loose about a week or so of data with a new install.
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »

ok after 4 hours there today i finally managed to get the station talking to the computer via the usb serial adaptor, the straight com port was having none of it Sad i can only assume the gubbins inside on the serial port are broken?
anyway, we start the programme and it hangs up! i think it's a memory issue with the computer itself as it must be 5 years old and original  Roll Eyes
take a look here as i left it uploading to see what happens overnight

http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/keiss/Keiss.php
kojack
Nimbostratus

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »

Showing correct date and data seems ok. However, the clock seems about 5+ hours adrift and is repeat cycling on data packets and time.

Have you made sure that the console clock and the pc clock are both at the same reading?  If they are different it throws the uploaded data into a strange loop.

Also check, using control panel/ settings panel on the pc that date and time are in sync with the internet time checker.

Cheers
John
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: