Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 24, 2018, 09:56:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has 57 member stations!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual deluge on Skye!  (Read 3508 times)
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« on: November 08, 2011, 06:13:54 PM »

Hi,

Early evening yesterday, just after dusk on the finest day for weeks I was surprised to notice that the VP2 console was reporting "It's raining cats and dogs". The "Daily Rain" figure was at ~30mm and climbing each time it refreshed. A quick trip out with the torch showed nothing odd outside, but something was obviously wrong somewhere!

Because of the way I "feed" WeatherDisplay from Meteohub I was able to "hide" the rain gauge from WD. By then WD had already seen 300mm (in around an hour), some of that might have shown up on the Network page. Fortunately I was able to restore a backup and "re-run" yesterday from the Meteohub database minus the rain gauge so the figures were back to sensible before the WD end of day routines (though WxSim forecast ran before I could do that and the deluge confused its short term forecast quite a bit!).

This morning I was out with the WD40 on the rain gauge connections (there are several because I have the rain gauge down at 300mm, separate from the ISS, so there is an extension lead), and since then the deluge has stopped. If it's still like that tomorrow I'll reinstate the gauge in WD.

In total the virtual deluge clocked up just just over 2800mm of rain.

I only just remembered that I ought to edit the Met Office WOW data too. That was a bit tedious because the bad data is now "yesterday", and each time you submit an edited reading the "view" goes back to "today" so you have to reselect the date range before you can edit the next reading. However that's done too now.

Hopefully all will be sorted before we get any "real" rain again...

Regards
David
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:11:14 PM »

I was reading about the odd shower you were getting on the Weather Watch forum.

Fingers crossed the WD40 has done with trick.

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:01:15 PM »

Fingers crossed the WD40 has done with trick.
Seems to.

After >24 hours with no false rain, I took the opportunity to give the tipper buckets a clean out (it turned out that they were pretty clean anyway) and check that rocking the bucket still registered[1]. Then I reinstated the rain gauge, just in time for the first genuine rainfall since Sunday.  Smiley

[1]  I should have done that earlier, to make sure that my playing with the cable hadn't just "solved" the problem by breaking contact completely!

Regards
David
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: