Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 21, 2018, 12:32:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Station upgrade  (Read 3863 times)
Bill W
Nimbostratus

« on: June 08, 2012, 06:13:12 PM »

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had experience of the Rainwise brand of weather station?
Cheers,
Bill.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 12:47:42 AM »

The Rainwise kit is very good, but you pay for it!
You can get a Davis with more sensors and the ability to expand the sensors for a cheaper price. Plus spares for the Davis are more readily available both in the UK and the US.

I got the basic wireless Vantage Pro2 and then added solar & UV sensor + a daytime fan that I got from the U.S for over half the price you can get them in the UK. I then bought a soil station transmitter in the UK but got the soil temp & moisture sensors from the U.S again.

Here's what the costs are like:

Sensor          UK Price      US Price
Leaf wetness - 156          57
Soil Moisture  - 72           26.50
Soil Temp      - 60           22.29
Solar Sensor  - 216          76.26
UV Sensor     - 432          153.81
Solar/UV
Mounting Shelf - 36          13.57
Totals          - 972          349.43

A saving of 622.57. Sure there's delivery, import duty & VAT on top but that's not going to cost over 600.

So, if you have that sort of money available and may want to expland the station in the future then I would go for the Davis as it's more practical, cheaper, expandable, has a UK Davis agent who are excellent and spares are freely available.  Wink

Bill W
Nimbostratus

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 12:56:05 PM »

Hi,
Thanks for your thoughts. I think it will be some time before I decide as there are some location issues as well but all information helps.
cheers,
Bill.
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 04:23:43 PM »

Just in case it's not obvious, the main station, and any other bits that have a transmitter or receiver, e.g. the soil station transmitter, need  to be sourced in the UK because the US units use different frequencies that are not OK for use in the UK.

My basic wireless VP2 came from ProData here in the UK (/www.weatherstations.co.uk, excellent service, I'm more than happy to recommend them), then later I added a solar sensor (and 'shelf') as an import from the US.

Regards
David
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: