Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 23, 2018, 02:02:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has 57 member stations!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Member in Highland Perthshire  (Read 3249 times)
Glen Derby

« on: December 14, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »

Hello everybody  Grin

The new Glen Derby weather station is located 1 mile west of Kirkmichael, Perthshire, halfway between Pitlochry and Glenshee.  The Davis Vantage Vue weather station is located in our garden, which is effectively a clearing in open woodland about 50m to th west of a plantation.  The station is, therefore, probably going to be slightly sheltered from the prevailing wind and as we are at 330m (over) 1000 feet on the shoulder of the side of the glen, so the cold air slides down the hill to the village. 

Current conditions can be viewed here:  http://www.weatherlink.com/user/andygingell/index.php?view=main&headers=0

I will investigate how to upload my data, but it does not seem to be as simple as I had hoped.   
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »

Welcome to the forum.  Grin

Getting the station data on line isn't that difficult and can cost as little as 15-25 a year for a website host and website name (URL).

A good start would be something like Cumulus Software which is free to download and use, produces graphs and stores all your data. It also comes with all the files you need for a basic weather website, all you need to do is get some server space to host it.  Wink

I use Virtual Names for hosting my own site, as well as this one and the UK Weather Net.
Their basic setup, which includes more than some you'll find, comes in at 24.95 + vat a year, that's for hosting and your domain name.

Others with weather websites use the likes of GoDaddy for the domain name and Erice for hosting (or the other way around, I forget Roll Eyes).

There are plenty of members here who can help get you set up and it's doesn't take that long. Once you've got a site then you can expand it how you want. There is a very good template website for Cumulus which adds a lot of extras and has full support from the author.

It's amazing what you do when you get used to it.  Wink

Martin.   

carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 02:19:48 PM »

Welcome  Grin

It is good to see another Perthshire station.

With regards to hosting, I use a company based in Coatbridge called http://ariotek.co.uk. They have given me excellent service and support for 30 +vat per year.  They can also arrange domain names.

Chris

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: