Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 23, 2018, 06:19:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has 57 member stations!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 weeks, 13 networks, 232 members!  (Read 3700 times)
SLOweather

Notes from the outpost...

« on: June 08, 2008, 07:51:15 PM »

Wow!

Just 6 weeks ago Jack from stillweather.com sent me an email asking if and how he could start up a Northeastern weather network similar to the Southwestern weather Network.

In that short month and a half, not only has Jack started the NEWN, but we have 9 networks covering all of the US (except Alaska), and international networks for the UK, Scotland, New Zealand, and Nordic. This morning's census shows 232 member stations worldwide. I understand that there are another couple of networks in formation as well.

We also started the North American Weather Network site as an umberlla stie where all members and networks admins could meet to talk about network ideas, problems, and the weather in general.

My special appreciation and admiration goes to Ken True from Saratoga-Weather.org, for creating all of the new mesomaps and shepherding the new network admins through its intracacies, helping them set up their new forums, and everything else he's tirelessly done to move things along.

I'm amazed and humbled at the enthusiasm that you all have showed in this. I've tried to join each and every regional network forum, to say Hi and answer any questions you might have. It's a little daunting at times, because there are so many. I apologize if I don't make the rounds as often as I'd like, or if there's a forum I've missed. (If there, is, please let me know. I'd like to be able to check into all of them, if I'm welcome.)

We've sure had fun and learned a lot in the Southwestern Weather Network in the last 2 tears. I hope all of you have as much fun and more.

Chris

saratogaWX
Global Moderator
Nimbostratus

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »

I'd like to echo Chris's comments about being amazed and humbled by the enthusiasm you all have showed in creating and managing your regional weather networks.  Who knew that this idea had such resonance and would blossom so quickly!

As for my part as mesomap-maker, you're entirely welcome for my efforts.  I've had an amazing amount of fun working with you all to make your regional network a reality, and a thriving home for weather enthusiasts in your area.  I'm also very pleased that the regional admins have taken the mesomap/forum as just a starting point, and added additional features to your regional sites with the suggestions of your members.

I too am a member of all the current forums and try to stop by each day and respond to questions where needed.

And.. yes, there are more networks underway:

Australia
Greece
and possibly Canada or a couple of provinces of Canada

Also.. with most of the networks having Lat/Long in the *-stations-cc.txt file, it won't be long for a GoogleMaps version for conditions, and enhanced GRLevel3 placefiles with conditions Smiley

We've had an exceptional time in the Southwestern Weather Network and developed a close set of friendships and great camaraderie -- may your regional networks also enjoy the same!

Best regards,
Ken

Ken True/Saratoga, CA
saratoga-weather.org
Wunderground:  KCASARAT1
CWOP:  CW1792
Davis Vantage Pro Plus - FARS
Free Weather PHP Scripts/Templates
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 08:48:48 PM »

Thanks to the both you and you're more than welcome to pop in any time you want, it's nice to see you.  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: