Scottish Weather Network Forum
January 21, 2018, 06:39:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Scottish Weather Network Forum

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rain Gauge Problem  (Read 9305 times)
weathermaster
Cirrus

« on: July 28, 2008, 07:23:54 PM »

Today I wanted to clean out the rain gauge when i took the cover off it was full of earywigs! The reed was getting blocked by them so it cant pick up any rain! Is there a way to stop them? i heard vinegar might? Please help.
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:59:58 AM »

Not had this problem. Spiders yes, but not earwigs.
How have you got the rain gauge mounted?
Mine's on a post in the garden and I don't seem to get any problems from critters getting into it.

weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:29:48 AM »

I have done the same as you by putting it on a post.
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 10:00:42 AM »

I have the same with mine, when i had to replace it all last year i pre sprayed all the internal bits of the rain gauge with silicon spray, they find it a little harder to get a grip and it doesn't ruin any electronics.
they're horrid!
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:28:49 PM »

I put soap under it and since then they have not come.
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 06:13:49 PM »

Glad you got it sorted, there's nowt worse than taking the cover off and having a load of them fall about your feet! YUK!
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 08:49:43 PM »

Its starting to get to that time of year now when there not around much.

Another thing I think is causing a problem when its very wet and windy the wind blows the rain away from the rain guage so it doesnt catch the rain.  Shocked
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 08:57:11 AM »

I think i get that problem too sometimes, there seems to be a lot more rain collected in the dogs bowls if they are outside than has actually registered in the guage, though they say to mount it not in a sheltered area?Huh
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 02:50:34 PM »

Everyone gets this problem with the wind blowing the rain past the raingauge. I was watching a news feed from Houston during Ike and they were estimating the rainfall because of this problem, they even explained it to the viewers.  Grin
The best type of raingauge is round type as it catches the same amount from all directions. The rectangular one I have with my WS2300 will tend to catch better when the wind is from the North or South, due to the way I have it aligned.  Wink

Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 06:27:45 PM »

So if we were really clever and measured the surface round the top of the rectangular one and made a round topped one with same measurements and fixed it on properly we could get a more accurate reading? or is that too simple? lol
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 07:54:16 AM »

You just need to make sure that the surface area of the opening is the same.  Wink

With Weather Display you can adjust the size (amount per bucket tip) of the rain gauge and I have toyed with the idea of increasing the catchment area of the rain gauge so that each bucket tip reads 0.1mm, instead of the standard 0.5mm. That way it will not only read more accurately but it will also register a shower alot faster then it does now.
I did the calculations some time ago and I think it worked out that I needed a funnel with a 20cm opening (although I would have to confirm that!!). After finding a funnel the right size I thought it would be difficult to make it fit the La Crosse raingauge and would be like a sail in the wind so I gave up on the idea.

skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 08:53:21 PM »

....with a 20cm opening (although I would have to confirm that!!). After finding a funnel the right size I thought it would be difficult to make it fit the La Crosse raingauge and would be like a sail in the wind so I gave up on the idea.
That's the size I use to get 0.25mm resolution for my OS WMR928.

I found the funnel in a hardware store in Dingwall (biggest I'd seen in Kyle was 180mm). I cut off most of the horizontal rim to give a sharper edge, but left the small tab that is probably intended for hanging the funnel up. I also cut part of the spout part off. I then 'glued' the funnel with a good measure of silicone to a 100mm drainage coupler which I'd discovered was a snug fit over the OS rain gauge (some people glue direct to the gauge - but by using the coupler I have a demountable solution).

To give extra security and rigidity I then added a brace in the form of a length of threaded bar that bolts to the tab I left on the rim and to the piece of wood that the gauge is mounted on.

The arrangement has not had a serious blow yet...

Regarding the problem of rain being blown over the top, I think I have seen pictures where a rain gauge has been surrounded by a ring of staves maybe a meter or two from the gauge, and no taller than the gauge to act as a non-shadowing wind break of sorts. I've no idea how effective the arrangement was... 

Regards
David
skyewright
Administrator
Cirrus

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 09:03:02 AM »

Another funnel mounting idea that might be handy as a way of getting around the problem of fitting a round funnel over a rectangular hopper.

For my MkI funnel (just 180mm) I found a small plastic bucket (IIRC originally contained 1kg of peanut butter!) that when turned upside down fitted right over the rain gauge. I cut the base out of the bucket, sat the funnel in the resulting hole, then glued it in with plenty of silicone (running the bead around both the inside and outside of the join). For extra measure I added some gaffer tape around the outside too.

To secure the bucket/funnel there are various possibilities. I settled on holding it down with garden wire. I drilled 4 pairs of small holes in the bucket rim, fed garden wire through and back at each pair then twisted the tails of the wire around the heads of screws part driven into the sides of the board on which the gauge sits. That was a very firm arrangement (probably more secure than my newer funnel!).

If that doesn't make sense I still have the bucket upstairs (with the wires still attached), so I could take a picture...

Regards
David
weathermaster
Cirrus

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »

About 10 for this http://www.weather-station-products.co.uk/item--Rain-gauge-standard--47-1006.html

Fancier one for 12 http://www.weather-station-products.co.uk/item--Rain-gauge-with-memory--47-1001.html
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: