Scottish Weather Network Forum
May 23, 2018, 03:56:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Scottish Weather Network now has RSS for updates and News.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: well that was fun  (Read 280 times)
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« on: August 29, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »

woke up this morning to discover the windy thing was not recording speed, took a look up my post and the cups had broken off lol
managed to borrow teleporter, driver and man cage this afternoon from the harbour, so spare one went up Smiley
my other option was a roof ladder hooked over the arm of the lamp post! didn't quite fancy that on a 'good caithness drying day' lol

anyone else done anything 'mad' regarding their stations?
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:23:59 PM »

Yes - today as a matter of fact. My cabled WM918 anemometer seized up in January. Wind direction was OK. I ordered a new WS 2350 station in Feb and tried to borrow a roof ladder from a friend.  The ladder was delivered yesterday.  I gingerly put the ladder up on the roof and cut the cable (the mounting is on one side of the chimney and the cable goes into the roof space on the other side). Then the fun began.... I do not like heights at the best of times and could feel myself starting to shake. I tried undoing the mounting bolts which were semi-released with a good dose of WD40, but in order to lift the pole out of the mountings, I just had to stretch a little bit more. Discretion being the better part of valour, I realised my limits and climbed down the ladder, off the roof. I will now have to "persuade" the local handyman with a few sheets of brown paper to complete the job for me.
I now have a weather station indicating no wind and a constant wind direction. Let's hope its not another 8 months before I can get the job completed.

Chris
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 05:29:37 PM by carseman » Logged
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 12:48:39 PM »

good luck on getting it sorted soon Smiley
i'm lucky i ain't afraid of heights, if i was a bit closer to you i'd offer to come and do it for you and even bring my own roof ladders Smiley
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 12:55:31 PM »

Well, I have just plucked up courage and been up the ;ladder again.... SUCCESS. The old anemometer is down and the new one is in its place. I am just having a cup of coffee and some nicotine before going up the other side of the chimney to secure the cable and push it through into the roof space. Then it is a simple matter (not!) of putting a new rj11 pug on the cable from the anemometer ,then joining the extension cable, and then jiggling with my software to make the WS2350 my "production"  station.  -update later.

Chris
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 03:09:24 PM »

well done you!
my i recommend you get a spare windy thing and spare thermo/hygro thing as mine seem to last about 18 months to 2 years up here.
think this last windy thing had done something like 250,000 miles when the cups broke off yesterday.
carseman
Global Moderator
Cirrus

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 04:02:13 PM »

We are back up and running. Grin Grin.  All seems to be working. 
Paula - I will look into getting some spares in case of failure.

Chris
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 06:11:53 PM »

Paula, I had the cups break off my "wind thingy" about 6 months ago as well.
Fortunately, I now have the Davis so I've never fixed the WS2300 and it only shows the wind direction now.
Mine broke off on the shaft up inside the casing, I guess they just can't take the Scottish weather.  Grin
Tugmistress
Cirrus

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 09:00:12 AM »

yeah i remembered reading someone had had this problem lol, mine went same place - i might email lacrosse and suggest a slightly stronger pin lol
i can't afford to upgrade to something like the davis, but in my location i'm not sure one of them would last much longer anyway!
Budgie
Administrator
Noctilucent

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 10:04:46 AM »

If they can last two winters in the Antarctic then they should be fine for Scrabster.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: